Subject: A question about rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I have a question concerning the effects of cards that "close". Can a card "close" itself?

For instance, when a player plays in front of himself a dragon card that requires him to "close" one dragon card, and the card just played is the only dragon card currently face up in front of him, does the dragon card "close" itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A question about
TXLe (#462113),

Yes, it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
And this has to be the case because otherwise the off-suit domain cards (Fairy Circle, Dragon Cave, etc) would be extremely over-powered and nigh impossible for the person in that suit to ever get ahold of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
(Fairy Circle, Dragon Cave, etc) would be extremely over-powered and nigh impossible for the person in that suit to ever get ahold of.

why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
It's good then that during our last (and first) game we made the proper call and played correctly! That is, we played that the cards could "close" themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
(Fairy Circle, Dragon Cave, etc) would be extremely over-powered and nigh impossible for the person in that suit to ever get ahold of.

why?

Because everyone who had none of the cards in that suit would want to grab one of them and gain a quick 6 points...this would peter out by the late game, but it would create an early run because only the Fairy Tale cards, which have pre-requisites to meet, are worth more individually.

The word individually is key here, because there are combinations of cards that will net you more points, but there is also a risk involved in going after them, and a hidden information aspect as well. Even in a 5 player draft you don't know if certain cards will still come up because of the 2 left over discards from the end of each draft.

The pre-requisites point is what balances out the domains. For instance, yes, you opted to draft and play a Fairy Circle, to get that open again you'll need to either draft and play the 1 point Fairy card that opens it back up (making each card effectively worth 3.5 points) or take the uber rare demon which opens two cards but serves a -2 penalty (assuming the Demon opens two closed domains, a best case scenario, each card would be worth 3.3333 points.

If the domains could be played as this example considers, they would be a flat 6 points if you didn't currently have any cards in that suit, which is considerably above the 3 point average established by the other cards.

I will grant that cards can and are worth more when, say, the * cards start piling up, but again, those are conditional points, and not easy to get. To get a * series worth more than the 3 point average you have to get 4 of 9 out of the deck. At that point of course, the numbers go through the roof, but getting the first ones is not as easy as it may sound.

In comparison, domains under this example would be easily the best cards in the deck to draft early, and would skew the points in favour of the person who was able to draft and play the largest number of them prior to actually getting "serious" and playing other cards in the suit.

I think it would also set up a nasty tendency like this:

Draft A: I grab a Fairy Circle, I see no other domains, so I grab 2 Mischevious Fairies (* cards) as well. During card play I lead with the Circle (because it cannot close itself) and then play the two fairies.

Draft B: I grab a Dragon Cave, I see no other domains, but I do see another Mischevious, and a random dragon of use. In play I lead with the Dragon Cave (again, it cannot close itself) and then play the Fairy and the other dragon.

usw.

In such a setting, I think it would almost always be in one's best interest to hold off for a domain before going into a suit so that you could lead with that card, as the value is so high in comparison to the other individual cards. This, in turn, would make the gameplay pretty stale, and luck of the draw would be heightened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb (#462466),

Ok, I see what you mean now. I really like this game, it is deeper than it at first seems (or at least to me anyway). I have only ever played it with 2 players (just my wife and me). I am going to try and get some people at work to play at lunch, looks like the perfect game for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.