Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So LNOE is my wife's favorite board game. I want to make a custom scenario for her birthday (also make her as a character) but don't know where to start. I can take care of the graphic design end of things but need help in making a good scenario. I have a few narrative ideas but have no idea where to start. Any advice is welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:
So LNOE is my wife's favorite board game. I want to make a custom scenario for her birthday (also make her as a character) but don't know where to start. I can take care of the graphic design end of things but need help in making a good scenario. I have a few narrative ideas but have no idea where to start. Any advice is welcome!

What I've done, is start with the narrative, and see what interesting gameplay ideas I can build around the narrative.

What kind of narrative do you have in mind?

Also, we need to discuss the special abilities of your wife's character.

Is she young enough that she needs to be a youth? Then she'd have one ability + the "youth" ability, which allows you to heal. Otherwise, we need to think of two abilities for her. What's her hobbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
mstachiw wrote:

What I've done, is start with the narrative, and see what interesting gameplay ideas I can build around the narrative.

What kind of narrative do you have in mind?

Also, we need to discuss the special abilities of your wife's character.

Is she young enough that she needs to be a youth? Then she'd have one ability + the "youth" ability, which allows you to heal. Otherwise, we need to think of two abilities for her. What's her hobbies?

THANKS!

Well I had 2 ideas but open to any suggestion.

Narrative Ideas-
-1 was a zombie outbreak during St. Patrick's Day Parade since her bday is the same day.

-The other idea comes from when she babysitting her nieces and nephews. She changed up the game Mall Madness with a killer in the mall chasing her nieces' and nephews' characters. The idea of a maniacal horror character that plays different than a Zombie Hero (Thinking along the lines of Freddy, Jason... Mr.X from the Resident Evil series etc). There are a few ways this can work. Maybe a persistant move+4. Maybe a hidden location mechanism for this character similar to Scotland Yard.

She'll be going on 33. Her hobbies are fiction writing, doll collecting / customizing, reading, music, gaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:

Narrative Ideas-
-1 was a zombie outbreak during St. Patrick's Day Parade since her bday is the same day.

-The other idea comes from when she babysitting her nieces and nephews. She changed up the game Mall Madness with a killer in the mall chasing her nieces' and nephews' characters.

Sounds like this:

Also, check the "Variants" forum section for all sorts of ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a St.Patty's Day theme, why not make it involve the Boondock Saints? Every St.Patty's Day we do a Boondock Saints marathon (and usually a couple homemade brews), so having a wife that digs LNOE (I'm so jealous) to go along with that would be awesome.

Create custom heroes for Conner, Murphy, Smecker, Rocco, Noah, Doc, the cops, Romeo, Eunice, etc. You probably wouldn't need any custom boards, just a scenario or two and even then maybe not. Just playing the saints I think would be fun enough

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
mstachiw wrote:

Narrative Ideas-

-The other idea comes from when she babysitting her nieces and nephews. She changed up the game Mall Madness with a killer in the mall chasing her nieces' and nephews' characters.

Sounds like this:

Also, check the "Variants" forum section for all sorts of ideas.

This is freaking hilarious!!! BGG never fails to surprise me!

As for Boondock Saints I'm afraid to say we have yet to see that film. Its been on our movies to see list for quite some time. (then we got big into board gaming :-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I love the Zombie Mall Madness idea but still need to make the scenario and my wife's character. I want to base it on the killer game my wife played when babysitting her nieces and nephews. I asked her how she would play and she said they would roll for the 'victim' characters then roll for the killer characters (kinda like playing the role of the board in a co-op).

Any thoughts on a good 'killer' mechanism or should I just use Zombie Hero rules?

Any idea of what size minis I can use compatible with LNOE (for my wife's character)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:
She'll be going on 33. Her hobbies are fiction writing, doll collecting / customizing, reading, music, gaming...

Ah, 33- then we probably can't justify making her a youth (Sorry!).

So, she'll need three wound-boxes and 2 abilities

Now, thinking of her hobbies...
How about...
Fiction Writing: Once per fight, can re-roll ANY one fight dice. Must keep second roll
(the idea being that she "rewrites" the story)

Doll collector: May take one wound to use doll to confuse zombies, and avoid ALL fights this round
(the idea being that the zombies all go for the defenseless "baby")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a little sumthin-sumthin I posted in another "how-to make a lnoe scenario" thread:

SPARTAN VI wrote:
I generally work backwards. That is, I figure out the objective, its exceptions/special rules/mechanics, then go into the setup and balance.

1. Start with an interesting mechanic or objective and build around that.
- The base game is all about cooperation, so if you can think of something that magnifies/contradicts this, it could lead to a very interesting scenario.
- For example, I found it interesting to introduce a traitor mechanic. Along the same vein, a variant introducing competitive play among the Heroes turned out to be very fun (and funny).
- My group also tends to enjoy the games where the Zombies are on the offensive, so we'd tinker with defensive Heroes scenarios.

2. Pan out your idea.
- Explain your new rules/mechanics (if any) in context with the objective.
- For consistency and readability, it would be a good idea to use the same terminology and verbiage from official scenarios (or rule book) in your variant(/s).
- For the sake of those whom may read your scenario, it would also be ideal to avoid "wordy" or excessively complex rules. I know, this is pretty subjective and I'm 100% guilty of this. Perhaps complex is what you're going for anyway; if so, then don't let me deter you.

3. Setup.
- Generally, the typical 4 L shaped boards and center of of town board configuration works well.
- You can always experiment with different board shapes, but it probably should be part of the scenario, not arbitrary. For instance, I made a variant where the Heroes had to get from point A to point B, then defend point B. This required an oblong game board setup.

4. Balance.
- You can get a base line idea of how to balance your scenario by comparing it to the official scenarios. Of course, this assumes those scenarios are balanced to begin with, but that's another discussion.
- The best way to balance is to play test. Probably at least two or three times.
- Remember the number of turns is probably one of the biggest factors in terms of balance. For instance, if Heroes have to defend an objective, then they'll want to hold off zombies for as little time as possible. Or if the Heroes have to get X, Y, and Z, then do something, they'll probably want more time.
- Stay away from loooonnnnggg scenarios, unless that's your cup of tea. I find games that last more than 120 minutes are snooze-fests.

5. Publish.
- Post it here for all to enjoy and play test.
- You can use the Custom Scenario Creation Kit located in the file section on BGG to piece together an aesthetically pleasing scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.