Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I am about to ship a game to someone(heroscape), and Im not sure how I should go about it. Should I just wrap it in mailing paper and go like that, or should I get a bigger box to put it in? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Box it. It will get trashed otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomadik wrote:
Hi,
I am about to ship a game to someone(heroscape), and Im not sure how I should go about it. Should I just wrap it in mailing paper and go like that, or should I get a bigger box to put it in? Any suggestions?

If you care at all how the box itself arrives, and maybe the contents as well, you should consider putting it in a larger box. One of the biggest risks is that the package will be squished or punctured. In either of these cases, just having a game box wrapped in mailing paper will not protect it from damage. Game boxes aren't usally made to withstand the torture of shipping to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it in another box and be sure to include some sort of padding material so it
doesn't get banged up and spill all the little pieces all over the interior of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely put it in a bigger box, and keep the game immobilized with some sort of packing material. If you use old newspaper as the packing material, wrap the game in clean paper or pastic so the game box doesn't get smudged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
While I have received games from Germany that were wrapped just in Kraft paper and received just fine, I have never gone this route when shipping games (either sold or trade) myself.

For me the simple question to be answered - how would I respond if the game were damaged in transit. Most of my sales/trades are games that might be difficult to replaced if damaged.

Therefore, I always wrap my games in bubble wrap first. (This has saved a few games that were left on the porch in the pouring rain where the box was soaked.) Then I find a box that provides about 1 inch space all around. I fill this space with foam peanuts or other lightweight material. I tend NOT to use paper as it can add quite some weight when enough of it is used.

Where do I get peanuts and boxes? I generally save a few boxes that are shipped to me to keep a supply at home. From this supply, I can usually find a nice box, some nice packaging and ship out the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Pack every thing you mail as if you know it's going to be thrown from a truck into a bin, and then other boxes of unknown weight are going to be thrown on top of it. Several times. And possibly in the rain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen to that. Pretend that ninja monkey arrrhrobot 's are handling the package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game components are loose and likely to shift, it's a good idea to use small pieces of bubble wrap, scrap newspaper strips, a handful of foam peanuts or whatever to prevent this kind of movement.

I second the suggestion of: bubble wrap around the game, a box with an inch or so of clearance around the game, fill that inch solidly with peanuts or whatever, try to pack it so that the game is just immobilized but not squished.

If you'll be doing more shipping, be creative and always keep an eye out for packing materials. Save the materials from everything you order. Ask friends and family to save packing material from stuff they order. Ask for the leftover strips of quilt batting if you know people who do that sort of work. Save the solid foam pieces from boxes that held electronics--those sometimes fit perfectly in a box (on edge to protect sides of boxes or flat to protect the tops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
If the game components are loose and likely to shift, it's a good idea to use small pieces of bubble wrap, scrap newspaper strips, a handful of foam peanuts or whatever to prevent this kind of movement.

To add to this - I sent a new (but not in shrink) copy of Diplomacy to the guy and he said on arrival, the game board was worn and did not appear new at all. Though he wasn't upset, he wanted me to know.

The game pieces moving around is a pretty big deal - fill the inner box with something to prevent the movement and bag similar density pieces (paper with paper, metal with metal) to keep the banging together from tearing stuff up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to ship a game? To me of course! pwhat:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions where to get a box that can handle the width of Heroscape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dayley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, put bubble wrap in the game box so the compnents won't move around. Then wrap the game box with bubble wrap. Put this into another box for mailing. Pack with peanuts or crushed newspaper so the game box is secure and won't move around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.