United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to mount a map on a game board. Where does one purchase the boards that are the same thickness and durability as a standard board. The game boards that I have appear to be held together by some sort of adhesive paper. I'd like to know where to purchase that as well. Home Depot? An art supply store? I have no idea.

Thanks for the help!

Kurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mellott
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try "The Board Game Designer's Forum":

http://www.bgdf.com/

They have many links to companies that sell blank game boards, boxes, dice, etc.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One method detailed here:
http://degroof.home.mindspring.com/boardgame/boardgame.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The method used in the link above is probably the best. I, personally, prefer the clear packing tape rather than the duct tape since it seems like it works a touch smoother. I also would recommend the syrofoam boards you can pick up for 80 cents at Wal-Mart or other craft stores, but only if you have a knife that can cut through it cleanly--it tends to shred if you're not paying attention.

I've found easel backing to work as well, though it's next to impossible to cut without causing more problems then you're solving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott and Suzy Krutsch
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used athletic tape to join boards to make the fold. It bends well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try lecturing it in a really low monotone voice.snore

Or tell it about the time you had a 14th level elf paladin going up against a leser hedge demon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vinyl board suggestion is a new one!

Don't let the War of the Ring people get a hold of this one... they will start popping up everywhere! zombie

My technique is to print the board on high-quality art paper.

The stiff part of the board is 2-layers – artist mat glued to foam-cored backing (both products are widely available in art stores and are used in framing). The top layer is the mat, backed by the backing. The paper board is glued to the mat. Use contact cement – it does not absorb into the board – therefore prevents warping as it dries.

The printed image is glued to the surface and wrapped around the edges, just like the boards you buy with your games. I then take another sheet of art paper and cut it just smaller than the board dimensions – gluing that to the back for finish. The other option for the back is felt.

Then, if you want the board to fold – you simple cut it on the top face using an exacto-knife – but just cut through the mat and ½ way into the foam of the foam-cored backing. Then simply fold it. It works great and makes a very clean fold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to use foam core for your board, I highly recommend a rolling/rotary cutter. It's basically a really sharp pizza cutter and is ideal for making clean cuts in foam board. Just be sure to do it on a safe surface (one your wife won't kill you on if it gets marred)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy a quad fold 20 x 20 inch board from the protoparts store at the BGDF

http://bgdf.com/catalog/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a picture of making gameboards from http://www.familypastimes.com/

You can see the cloth taped cardboard "inners" stacked in the foreground, folded in half. He has a colorfully printed sheet in his hands and is about to glue it to the cardboard inner. After that's done he'll run it through the rollers to remove any airbubbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.