Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure people have seen what is happening at Avalanche Press. Looks like things are pretty dire....

http://www.avalanchepress.com/Ode_to_Finance.php

A shame if they do go down as some of their games were really good. I have really enjoyed Bomb Alley and got a lot of play from my old first edition Panzer Grenadier with mounted map boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping for the best, myself, but it definitely sounds like a company in its death throws.

They have some REALLY great sounding products coming up, though - and I understand orders for these have been coming in. One doesn't wonder if they can get through this hump, they won't pull through.

FWIW, all of the wargaming companies that have commented openly on this recession note its unusual impact on board wargames. Apparently, tradition was that while board wargames were never a 'booming' industry at all, at any point, ever...they were also 'recession proof'. The target audience they had tended to be either retirees (who don't need jobs), or the better educated (whose jobs are rarely threatened).

*THIS* recession, though, is said to be absolutely brutal to the wargaming industry, for reasons nobody can seem to determine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my part.

Would it kill them to let a couple of GWAS/SWWAS games go VASSAL/Excel? Naval games are made for PBEM IMHO and umpired games of GWAS/SWWAS are great experiences. See the last umpired game of WPO I posted. Fun!!!

Also, maybe WW3 at Sea? The success of this series tells me World at War: Eisenbach Gap the cold war gone hot still has some legs to it. Still a lot of "Fleet" fans out there who would love to see an update. Add in future Indian and Chinese navies and maybe start a new series?

I am a huge fan of Avalanche, hang in there!

Off topic but...
Is $64.99 that much different than $74.99? Other game companies have no trouble charging me over $70! Video games with a whopping 2+ hours of content don't seem to have a problem either. NCAA Football not included..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This note just rolled in. Things must be looking up and I agree - Avalanche has some good looking stuff coming.

From Mike B.

"Dear valued friends,

Thank you! We asked for a Christmas miracle, and you delivered. Your efforts at the web store have resulted in a much healthier Avalanche Press. The new year is already looking more prosperous, and that is entirely due to you. Thank you for your continued friendship and support.

We're still short of our goal, though. We want to knock out this backlog in the first three months of the year, and we're not quite in position to do that yet. Oh, we can get some of it done now, but not quite as fast as we're hoping.

Thus, we're asking you to find a little more of that Christmas spirit. If you haven't taken advantage of the current sale to get 40% off an order of $100 or more, please do so. You can also get FREE shipping to anywhere in the world for an order of $150 or more (after the coupon is applied).

You'll be able to add some great games to your library just in time for Christmas, and you'll be ensuring more terrific product is coming down the pike. Games like They Shall Not Pass, Go for Broke and (dare we even say it?) the two Kursk games. This is an investment in your gaming entertainment for today and the coming year.

If you have taken advantage, thank you. Now please encourage your friends to do so, too. After all, you need your opponents' libraries well stocked too, right? Let them know they can do themselves and APL a favor by stocking up on games they love to play.

Remember: The sooner we can clear our backlog, the more fun you'll have in 2011. So help us out. Take advantage of this great offer, which we've extended through Dec. 28, to bring an "Avalanche" of fun to your gaming table today and beyond.

Thanks again for all your support over the years. A very pleasant holiday season to you and yours.

Good gaming,
Mike Bennighof
Avalanche Press, Ltd."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm don't recall getting any discounts... oops...
also didn't see any "at Sea" in the titles listed above bummer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and ordered the two upcoming Kursk games, mostly just to help out. I'mhappy to hear it may have

I agree with Craig, a WWIII naval series would be interesting, and along those lines, Avalanche does need to tease us with some more plans for the future. The comment in the Ode to Finance article about taking the PG series to Korea scares me a bit. Is Korea 1954 really a commercial topic, compared to say Modern or Arab-Israeli? Whatever, that's for better minds than mine.

I would be curious as to the reccession's impact on wargame publishers. Anybody know more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad things are looking a bit brighter for APL.

My wishist for them would be to get some CB or vassal module sup and running. At least to spread the word and allow PBEM. A WW3 game would look good in my collection too. Maybe a big brother to PG at company level too? I think there is alot of scope for variants in the SWWAS game for variants as well. More mid size games too - like Bomb Alley, etc. I was very disappointed when they retired this excellent game. I really can't stump up $200 for a super game,and a print your own doesn't appeal to me.

We'll see ahat happens....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
Maybe a big brother to PG at company level too?

A scale change for GWAS/SWWAS might be interesting. Maybe something more strategic that could be used to generate operational scenarios (if players wanted that detail). They made operational naval gaming fun and interesting, maybe there is room for the next level up?

Someday soon I want to run a Bomb Alley campaign of some kind. Have the British run convoys to Malta and the Italians run convoys also but also think about when they will make their move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: WW3 at sea.

Back when Brian Knipple was working for the company, I understand they were looking at starting with the Falklands for a 'Cold War at Sea' series.

With almost everyone gone, now, I wonder what's come of that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AP engenders mixed feelings in me.

While on occasion they have had interesting game ideas, they have had consistent issues with physical presentation and rules writing that drag them down.Add in the fact that of late (past few years I think) there have been no really new games out of them - everything is part of a pre-existing game series - and it spells my not buying their stuff.

I would think the surest cure for their chronic ills (this is not the first capital crunch they have hit) would be to publish some genuinely innovative games with consistent physical quality and well written rulesets. That would give them "street cred" they currently lack which would translate into more sales per release, allowing capital to be built up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes... perhaps some fresh new ideas and games?

I know I have a samey feel when I look at thier stuff now and wouldn't touch moys (perhaps) any of it.

There must be some keen young designers who want to get their games published? Assuming APL wants to do this and not turn out the same stuff as before....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish. They owe me well over a thousand bucks in paid for but unfilled orders from over a year ago. The part of the order which did arrive looked like it was packed by monkeys, with damage ranging from bowed boxes to total destruction. The order, which was all for new games, contained items obviously previously used - no shrink, dog-eared rulebooks, marks etc. On the subject of the undelivered games, Benninghoff stalled, stating that the games were 'in a distribution centre' in Australia, until the paypal claim period lapsed. After that apparently they weren't in a distribution centre. When I queried the disgusting state of the games which I did receive they asked me if I had videoed opening the shipping boxes (!) & when I replied that I hadn't, all email from them ceased.

I know from my contacts that I'm by no means Robinson Crusoe in the 'Ripped off by Avalanche Stakes' - lots of luck to the people who suckered up for a 'Christmas Miracle' - hope you see some part of your order. Added to their shonky business practices, they legally bully anybody who dares to offer an electronic means of playing their chronically unplaytested games. Once these creeps go down I won't be shedding tear one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch...THAT'S gonna leave a mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That stung! :0

I've had a good run although I go through milsims and I'm sure they vet anything as they're rep is on the line.

After that I wouldn't get anything diect I think....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail like Milsims should be safe (one would hope!). The risk would be in direct sales and I dare say is geographically based - the closer you are to 'punch Benninghoff in the nose range' the more likely you'll get most of your order. Consequently I know of many Aussies who made the mistake of direct ordering and wait, in misplaced hope that the goods they paid for might actually arrive one day. Outside U.S. legal jurisdiction is a death sentence for ethical behaviour from them(although there's a fair few stories from the U.S. as well). Bottom line is if you like their games spend a little extra to get them retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
yes... perhaps some fresh new ideas and games?

I saw a book The Line Upon the Wind, The Great War at Sea 1793-1815 by Mostert at the book store. That would be a treasure trove of new games. They made pre-dreadnoughts and warplans interesting, I am sure they could do the same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have mentioned eventually adding a Age of Sail line [along with the Cold War and pre-age of sail] to their collection... but given the backlog of stuff to get through [and that the Ironclad era has a couple of games in development] I can't imagine any of those in the next year or so given the development it would presumably need.

To a great extent, I would be interested to see how much the Ironclads game differs from GWAS/SWWAS before hoping for new series... does it feel like the exact same game system awkwardly ported to the 1860s or not?

Plus, there really isn't a need to limit oneself to 1793-1815... there are the 1776-1783, 1756-1763 eras as well as the earlier wars of succession and the late 17th century wars although those might require a bit of change in the rules from the ~1800 era. Through in some hypotheticals [a larger American Navy buildup in the 1790s, some sort of British North American colonial fleet in the 1750s, separate Scotland, perhaps some of the German states building navies. ect ect] and there are even more topics for games/expansions. Heck, some of the less covered wars and hypotheticals might be a way to help distinguish themselves from the existing series in the market place.

But again, I would imagine the current focus for new series [when not dealing with the massive backlog] is probably on the Ironclads series [since the first game of it is in the backlog and there are probably at least a couple of Civil War Games plus a British/French intervention expansion in that] and the Cold War version of the PG/IA series [since that series has a large existing audience, there are topics that probably have a decent built in new fanbase like Korea, Vietnam, Middle Eastern Conflicts, India-Pakistan. WWIII in Europe, and I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the existing rules to account for newer technologies].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmela Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
about their naval games:

they can't release their unified swwas/gwwas rules, even when they take preorders for them in their coral sea game ,and we want they to release a full new rule set on WWIII, something may be worng.

I will never pre-order from them,and will make sure they have the product i want in their warehouse (they usually run out of maps, at least to me it happends twice: arctic convoy and boxless bomb alley ), even more, I will not purchase anything until I can pick with my hands a cold war at sea item in my local store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see their comments re pre-orders recently. I am used to the GMT and MMP situation where you are not charged until the game comes out. I don't thinkI'd pre-order, let someone take my cold hard cash and then sit on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sit on it & they do something else on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the "sit on it"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.