Popular Tags: [View All]
David Astley
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The Official
I got a 28 hand against my brother about 1995. I had a 10 and 3 fives and just watched dreamlike as the fourth five was turned up. I think I was dealer and already slightly ahead going into the last straight. I think my brother stopped trying to get to the end before I got to the end and started trying to get to the final straight before I got to the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:The Official
I got a 28 against my father, circa 1990. It even had a jack; unfortunately, the jack in my hand matched the suit of one of the fives in my hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve s
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb
i got a 28 on microsoft game zone in 98 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Oney
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never had/seen a 28 or 29 hand, but my Dad said he saw both a 28 and a 29 hand in the same summer while playing his brother. I have been dealt three fives and a picture on numerous occasions and even once three fives and the Jack of the suit of the missing five, but it never came up. It is amazing how you heart will actually beat a little faster during a simple card game just in the anticipation of a simple cutting of the deck...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Korell
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Ive had two 28 hands, 1 on a boat while I was in Veitnam (1998) and another at work during lunch break a few years ago. though I have play
a few thousand games in the last 8 years. 2 weeks ago, i was delt fours 5's and two 8's, it wasn't my crib and got rid of the two 8's of course.
And what got cut....drum roll....a bloody 2 , ah well its not often im disappointed with a 20 point hand, that day i was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest I have come to 29 is a 24 hand. I got that one last night. I believe it was 7,7,8,9 and another 8 was flipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Robinson
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my family, cribbage has been a favourite game for as long as I can remember. Lately my brother and my mother have had 1 or 2 games virtually every day. Last summer my 87 year-old mother got a 29 hand. My brother saved the hand and had it framed and presented it to her this (just past) Christmas. What a thrill that was for the whole family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Oney
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
d10-2d10-9

After having played cribbage for about 30 years now, it finally happened on Friday, March 9th, 2007. I was dealt the 5 of clubs, 5 of spades, 5 of diamonds and the Jack of hearts.... then, BAM!!! The 5 of hearts was cut. I was playing against my father on Yahoo. We both did a screen capture to forever preserve the memory of my one and only (presumably) perfect hand. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hertzog van Heerden
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading something in the news the other day and found the link again :

"Card games were a favorite form of entertainment for submariners while on deployment during World War II and cribbage was a popular game on USS Wahoo (SS-238) with Executive Officer O’Kane and his Commanding Officer, World War II legend Dudley “Mush” Morton.

Cribbage lore among submariners is that while patrolling in the shallow waters of the Yellow Sea during its fourth war patrol, Morton dealt O’Kane a perfect 29, the highest possible score for combinations in a single cribbage deal. The crew felt that it was a lucky omen and Wahoo sank two Japanese freighters that night.

Three days later, while patrolling off the Korean coast south of Chinnampo, Morton dealt a 28- point hand to O’Kane. They sank two freighters that day and another one the following day. "

http://www.csp.navy.mil/news/rel070511.html

I've never seen a 28 or 29, but am doing my best! (and playing as much cribbage as possible til that glorious moment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got a 28 pt hand against my dad circa 1992. directly after him taking a trip to the bathroom...it took some convincing til he believed that i hadn;t cheated (i hadn't)

this was good because i think it was one of very few games i won against him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a ton of cribbage as a youth. I don't recall ever seeing a 29 hand, but I definitely have seen a hand of 4 "5"s where a jack gets turned up, which for the dealer is kind of a "30" hand.

The bigger question, of course, is: has anyone seen/gotten a "19" hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a 29 in the fall of 1982 playing on the floor of my dorm room at the University of Illinois. The best part is I even got to score it.

I can hardly think of anything in gaming more horrible then having a 29 hand and your opponent going out before you get to score it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still looking for my first "29" in Cribbage and my first "Hole-in-One" in Golf.

Maybe if I live long enough...

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 92, I was playing a game against my friend Scott. I was within ten points of going out while Scott was more than 25 points behind. a five was turned over for the starter. He had a queen and the other three fives. 28 points, just like that. He went from almost being skunked to victory in one hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with a co-worker during our breaks. It was a few years ago that I dealt out a hand. After he cut a 5, Ken said, "We have to retire this deck." Sure enough, he had the magic hand. We went around the break room making sure that there were witnesses to his 29 score.
As an aside, I won the game despite his perfect hand!
One more thing: I've been playing cribbage for decades and have never even had a 28 hand, never mind the near-mythical 29. Ken had been playing for just a few years when he caught his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sapper_SB wrote:
The closest I have come to 29 is a 24 hand. I got that one last night. I believe it was 7,7,8,9 and another 8 was flipped.

Just learning this game and I am doing some reading on scoring. OK... I cannot figure out how a score of 24 is had with this hand. This is what I get:

Hand of 7 7 8 9 and the flipped card is an 8

Pair of 7's_7, 7=2
Pair of 8's_8,8=2
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3

Total of only 16pts.

What did I miss?

Thanks

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Sapper_SB wrote:

Just learning this game and I am doing some reading on scoring. OK... I cannot figure out how a score of 24 is had with this hand. This is what I get:

Hand of 7 7 8 9 and the flipped card is an 8

Pair of 7's_7, 7=2
Pair of 8's_8,8=2
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3
Run_7,8,9=3

Total of only 16pts.

What did I miss?

Thanks

Jim

The 7 and 8's add up to 15... there is four of them, which make the extra 8 pts up!

I sadly have never gotten the elusive 29 hand... but I will keep trying til the one day I do, then get it framed as well (good idea by the way!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH! Thanks! I totally missed that!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister got a 29 hand, but it was a very long time ago (like 30 years) - we still remember it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Official "I got/saw a 29 hand" thread
I have played Cribbage for 20 years. I have played between 150 and 200 games of Cribbage per year for the past 5-10 years. I have never had a 29.

I have had 28 twice. Once with a king of hearts (odd how I remember that), and once with a Jack with the same-suited 5 in my hand.

I don't know how many times I have had a Jack and three 5s and the fourth 5 didn't come up. Not very often, probably fewer than five times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.