Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After our family Easter dinner, my wife and I sat down with my in-laws to play a couple of games of Spill and Spell.

We pulled out my wife's 1975 edition, which she was given as a girl for Christmas 1978. The timer long ago vanished, so we played with no particular time-limit. Consequently, our games took 40-45 minutes each instead of the 20 minutes advertised. This was not a problem.

FIRST GAME
Round ONE
I opened up with a 7-letter word, "soldered" across which I built "glows" and "den" leaving one cube unplayed for a score of 97.

My father-in-law (Dad) opened with "Cajun" and built "coy," "jew," "noun" and "in" into and around leaving one cube unplayed for a total of 63 points.

My mother-in-law (Mom) stepped into the game with "bends," "prey," "hives," and "hug" also retaining one unplayed cube for a score of 74.

Round TWO
I lead off with "tablet," building "bug," "gay," "bit" (2x), and "it" using up all of my cubes and scoring 76.

Dad played out "thirds," crossed it with "hazes" and supplied "vines" and "cud" to use all of his cubes and score 81.

Mom placed "soddy," "beast," "box," "ho," and "jet" leaving one cube standing and scoring 71.

Round THREE
I tabled "grades," "hay," "foils," "fun," and "in" with one cube left over for 83 points.

Dad lead out with "wooded," follwed up with "prove," and tacked on "win," "pa," and "bin" to use up his cubes and tie my 83.

Mom garnered another weak entry with "wilder" and built "rim" and "chest" leaving 3 cubes unplayed for 61 points.

Round FOUR
My last play consisted of "fixer," "year," "diet," and "farm" (I think, my notes are illegible here) for 72 points.

Dad spelled words totalling 66 points, but scooped the cubes before I could record the words.

Mom played her strongest entry yet, the only other 7-letter word after my opening play, with "camping," "pity," "safe," and "we" for 94.

FINAL SCORE
Dad came in last at 293, beat out by Mom at 300 despite her weak 3rd round showing, but both losing to my 328 (largely garnered with my 97 point opener).

Even though we did not use an egg-timer to limit each other, we played the game in 40 minutes, which calculates to an average of just over 3 minutes per player. We all had an interest in keeping the game moving, but a tournament would require a time-limit.

We enjoyed it enough to play a rematch, which I'll summarize here (instead of trying to milk another report out of it, seeing I didn't record the words we made).

REMATCH
Round ONE
Mom started with a pace-setting 75, followed by Dad's 82 and my 72.

Round TWO
Mom really poured on the heat, garnering 93 points, to which Dad answered with an 89 and I weakly with an 81.

Round THREE
Mom let my wife play for her. Bummer, Lori RULES at word games! I KNEW right then that my hopes were shot! Lori follwed up Mom's 93 from the previous round with a healthy 90 to which Dad and I could only weakly reply with a 72 and 71, respectively.

Round FOUR
Lori hammered the nails in our coffins with an 88. Dad fell apart with a 68, and I rallied to an 87 but it was definitely too little, too late.

FINAL SCORE
The Mom/Lori team blasted us off the table with a 346 compared to my 312 and Dad's 310. A good game, but don't play against my wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.