Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game has been out for a couple of months, and the rules have been publicly available for a while, I thought I'd post a poll to get some idea how people think the games compare.

Poll
1. If I could only own or play one of these games, it would be:
Last Night on Earth, because Zombies are cooler than Martians.
Invasion from Outer Space, because Martians & Carnies are cooler than Zombies.
Last Night on Earth, because the Zombie game play is more interesting.
Invasion from Outer Space, because the Martian game play is more interesting.
2. If I already owned Last Night on Earth, would it be worth picking up Invasion from Outer Space to use strictly as expansion material for Last Night on Earth?
Yes
No
3. If I already owned Invasion from Outer Space, would it be worth picking up Last Night on Earth to use strictly as expansion material for Invasion from Outer Space?
Yes
No
      66 answers
Poll created by pseudotheist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Zombies are cooler than Martians....I enjoy the added mechanics of Invasion. You can really feel how they system has grown over a few years.

That said, if you like one, you would be silly NOT to own both.(theme exceptions aside, if you hate zombies, then so be it) "It's more of the same" you might say, well I own 5 ticket to rides, 5 power grid maps, and a big box full of formula D tracks that says "More of the same" is not a bad thing.

Plus you can mix them together, so it's a stand-alone expansion if you think of it that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
That said, if you like one, you would be silly NOT to own both.

In an ideal world, that's true. But given 2 to 3 plays a year is an optimistic estimate of play frequency for a game like this, I'll probably be starting with just the one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
That said, if you like one, you would be silly NOT to own both.

While I agree (and own both), I wouldn't buy one to only supplement the other.

For the OP- both are very good. I would recommend going with the theme that interests you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I enjoy Last Night on Earth (which is oodles), I wouldn't be able to justify purchasing it for the sole reason of combining it with Invasion. Or vice versa. Both games stand on their own so very well. I prefer Last Night, maybe because the zombie movie theme is so thick throughout every facet of the game, or perhaps because it's been with me for years. Whatever the case, I'd pick it over Invasion, if forced to choose.

However, both games are unique in their execution, enough to cater to whoever asks. Martians are not Zombies, and Carnies aren't Heroes. They're all awesome, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like LNOE theme more than IFOS, but base game vs. base game, you get more interesting gameplay with IFOS.

In order for LNOE to even begin to compete, you at least need the Survival of the Fittest expansion. Grave Weapons and the Survival Decks add a lot of interesting card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levant Mayne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have to say, I did buy IFOS for the sole intention of an expansion for LNOE. Me and my family play usually play once a week and definitely bi-monthly. We all love it to bits, so decided to expand it a little. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1a + 1d which likely won't make me buy the game even though I want to because I want the best mechanics but no circus people or mars attacks! kind of aliens.

(Edit: Had written theme instead of mechanics.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ghostbusters
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I own Last Night On Earth. I was just recently introduced to it by some friends, and just got it for my birthday in early June. I am absolutely obsessed with this game. I then found out about Flying Frog, and all their other games.

I happen to love zombies and martians, so to me both games are more than worth having on their own even if they didn't combine. I like zombies better than martians, so if I could only have one of the two, it would be Last Night On Earth.

For me personally, I would have no problem buying Invasion From Outer Space just for the fact that it is an expansion of LNOE. I am a big enough fan of the game that this would be good enough for me (I'm planning to buy all the expansions over time anyway).

When I do buy IFOS, of course I will combine the games at some point. Even so... I'm going to play IFOS separately as well. So, as much as I wouldn't mind if it were just an expansion, I'm going to have tons of fun with it as a completely separate game as well.

So, I think it kind of depends on the person. If you don't really get to play often, it probably wouldn't be worth your while to buy one if it is just because you want it as an expansion for the other. But, if you tend to love these kind of board games, and love to play all the time, then it could be worth your while. But, both games are so much fun alone that you might as well use them as separate games as well as expansions on each other the way they were made to be. It can only help to vary the games more and make them even more fun for even longer! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By now the forest camp version (Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak) of LNOE has been announced and that one will be a stand-alone with possibilities to level up your units or whatever. So that may take LNOE one step further and give it a little help catching up.

Personally I think the virus cloud infection of sedition wars seemed rather interesting for a "zombie" game to so that may or may not be something to. Then there's of course the new descent and claustrophobia where neither will be about zombies but yeah, you walk around and things attack at least

I guess part of the phone with LNOE may be that it's so very simple and highly thematic and everyone can just join in and enjoy the ride without thinking too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Coe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Last Night on Earth, because Zombies are cooler than Martians.
While Board Game surfing (come on now you do it too.) I stumbled upon A Touch of Evil, and was curious about it. Reading about it here and then on Flying Frog's site; I perused their other game offerings and instantly became a lot more excited about LNoE. Even after reading the Invasion from Outer Space was a more evolved gaming experience (something I would enjoy) the zombie theme easily won out.

I also voted "No" for picking up IfOS as an expansion for LNoE. I may pick the game up on it's own merits, but not just because I want an expansion for LNoE (There are other expansions to get if I'm looking for a bit more out of my zombies.)

However I did vote "Yes" for picking up LNoE as an expansion for IfOS. and I have 2 reasons, One as of yet there is not another expansion for IfOS (it's coming but not here yet.) My second reason, this site (http://www.flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Catego...:IFOS/LNOE_Crossover) recommends several crossovers for the game. Heroes vs. Zombies, Heroes vs. Martians, Heroes vs, Zombie/Martians. It has Carnie stuff also, but several times recommends using the Heroes for merged games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.