Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which should I get for my father? They appear to share the same mechanics... does it really just come down to which war he's more interested in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... but purchase both games.

Worked for me!

These two titles go together like... beer and pretzels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
...does it really just come down to which war he's more interested in?

I think that's the key. If he's interested in the subject, he's far more likely to enjoy the game. Note that there are two other games available in the same family: Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics. Pick the one that matches his interests best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes.

Battlecry is (currently) a 'all in one' game.

Memoir'44's base game has everything you need to start play although it is limited in scenarios (1944-45 western europe only). There are many (MANY) expansion sets and scenario maps including Russians, Japanese, British, etc.. A great campaign expansion exists.

While I love the games and the system some of my other wargaming friends dislike the plastic figures and would rather play the block versions. My personal choice of the best C&C game is Memoir'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also Battlelore and Battles for Westeros in addition to those mentioned above. Both are based on the C&C system with some rules modifications. Battlelore features some off-board mechanics and Westros bridges the system with real wargaming by dispensing with the card driven aspect and adding commanders and command control.

As far as Battle Cry and Memoir '44 - hard choice. Battle Cry is indeed simpler but Memoir offers huge flexibility in all the expansions available. If you want a pure introduction game go with Battle Cry. The new edition has 30 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the posts so far. Memoir and Battle Cry are the easiest of the Commands & Colors games, and both have very similar mechanics (only a few unit types, no "battle back" mechanics). And, yes, if your father has a favorite period, that's the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.