4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card-based Game for Shakespeare's Macbeth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Jakes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to put together an activity/game that will get across the theme of Choice/Destiny in regards to Shakespeare's play Macbeth. These are the current ideas I have:

Players play as one of four-
Witches (could be multiple players)
Macbeth
Banquo
Malcolm

The witches draw a 'destiny' card to tell them who they want to win the game--much like the Bene Gesserit in AH's Dune. Each other player wants to win the game as well. How they win the game is up in the air, is it holding the Crown card at the end? Is it eliminating your opponents? Is it having the most points (cards yielding points, crown card yielding a bunch?) at the end?

Card ideas:
Duncan, Rebellion, Prince of Cumberland, Chamber Guards, Wine and Wassail, The Murderers, England, Thane of Cawdor, The Porter, Siward and his Armies, Seyton, Fleance, Lady Macbeth, Macduff, Lennox, Ross,
Dunsinane, Birnam Wood, Inverness, Meeting with the Witches, The Heath,
Coronation, The Banquet, Scone, Fife, Put to the sword, Scotland's Crown

Now the limitations: It must be able to be explained verbally to 10-18 year olds in a minute or two, so it must be simple in its design, and it must convey that core theme. Similarly, the total activity should take no more than 10-15 minutes.

Ideas? Feel free to BG message or post here, I'd much appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re-theme Werewolf?

For a large group:
Macbeth & Lady Macbeth: as the wolves, kill someone each night.
The Witch: as a sorcerer/cultist. Knows who the Macbeths are, wants them to win.
Macduff: as the hunter or a tough.
Malcolm: as the seer. Seeks out the Macbeths.
and then villagers for the rest.

A re-themed "fiver" werewolf would work too for smaller groups:
Macbeth: as the wolf.
Witch: as the sorcerer/cultist.
Malcolm: as the seer.
Macduff: as the hunter.
Banquo: as the villager.

Let me know if you have questions, and if you run with it, let us know how it turned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also known as "The Scottish Game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if the game is bending the story (the witches don't always want Macbeth to win) then I think the main story element that needs to be conveyed is the idea of the character's becoming more unhinged and unstable as they kill more people.

Maybe you could have it as such:

The characters (excluding the witches) all have 3 characteristics:

Name: simple enough there
Sanity: how stable they are, a character will loose sanity throughout the game
Influence: this states various locations and how much influence they have over them (for instance, Macbeth and his Wife both have influence over scotland and it's crown) at the start of the game.

Then, each round, 3 events are drawn from the event cards, all of which are events from the play and come with a qoute from it.

Then, the witches pick one card that will NOT occur and remove it from the three, after that the other players bid influence on the cards (which will have affiliations to the various things) and can use influence that isn't stated on the card in a 2 to 1 ratio.

The game ends when either the event pile is finished (probably always ending in a card that does alot of damage to macbeth) or there is only one contender for the crown left (ie, some players can play as supporters if there are a large number of players).

So a sample event could be:

'out damn spot!'
Scottish Influence
Lady Macbeth takes 3 sanity damage

or:

'English army advances on the castle'
English influence
All crown contenders other than Macbeth gain 4 scottish influence

and then you could have certain cards that remove characters from the game.

'My Lord, the Queen is dead'
Scottish influence
Remove lady Macbeth from the game if she has less than 3 sanity, Macbeth looses 4 sanity

Off course if you have no sanity your removed as well.

I think this'd work as a whirlwind tour of the play (some of my details are probably atroucious, it's being ages since I've studied it XD ) and putting the event cards at the centre would definitely help memorise them for the players. (seeing how this seems to be educationally themed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.