Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Mastrapa
United States
La Quinta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a story about Mike Doyle for Killscreen -- its a journal that covers mostly videogames, but they're giving me the latitude to talk about stuff that relates. And I think they're close cousins.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the story.
http://www.killscreenmagazine.com/articles/boards-and-bits

-g
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting article. I actually liked Mike's boardgame work, and though he was not happy with the final result for Caylus, I was. I mean, he says the elements of the board didn't stand out as well as he would have wished (or words to that effect) but they definitely work for me. I think a lot of critics just thought "why change it if it works?", but I personally didn't adopt such conservative views, despite playing the first edition for a couple of years.

Naturally, I understand why he is concentrating his efforts elsewhere, but I have to bemoan the fact that this "cottage industry" has, at least for the time being, lost a thoughtful and practical artist/graphic designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Mastrapa
United States
La Quinta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, he did tell me he was also proud of Caylus -- who wouldn't be? It is gorgeous. But I found his mixed feelings about the way the project turned out pretty interesting.

I too am sad to see him leaving board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting article indeed! And I hadn't realized he did that art in Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I was never a fan of his board game art... but that LEGO sculpture is magnificent.

The idea of something as hard and mathematically exact as LEGO paired with a dilapidated, decaying, messy subject like an abandoned home is fantastic.

EDIT: More about the LEGO and the making of. Wow. Truly a "good riddance" for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.