Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Net Sack
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Hi.

I was subscribed to the master RSS feed but that turned out to be too much to scan through each day while looking for the titles of the games I was interested in so I started subscribing to the feeds on the pages for the games I own.

Unfortunately, it looks those feeds only contain new articles but not replies to existing articles. Is that intentional?

I was expecting that the game-specific feed would include everything pertaining to that game. Articles, replies, reviews, images, session reports, etc. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to be everything. It was a good way for me to follow certain games, but it hasn't been working well for me lately. The Blue Moon feed was spitting out the last 200 posts every time while the others weren't picking them up at all. I don't understand anything about the feeds or how they are generated, but I am thinking about unsubscribing to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you grab an RSS feed for a particular game? I just tried the "XML" icon for Bootleggers, and it grabbed everything (Including images, replies to posts, etc...) related to Bootleggers. I'm using Opera ver 7.+. How would i get it to just include articles, and nothing more?

thx in advance,
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Net Sack
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
dr_canak wrote:
How do you grab an RSS feed for a particular game? I just tried the "XML" icon for Bootleggers, and it grabbed everything (Including images, replies to posts, etc...) related to Bootleggers. I'm using Opera ver 7.+. How would i get it to just include articles, and nothing more?

I'm using Bloglines so I just clicked the Sub Bloglines button on the page for the game. But you can also use the orange XML icon on the page for the game.

I just looked at the feed for Alhambra and it's huge! It looks like it includes everything related to the game in the one feed.

It has all five reviews, then the articles, then the replies to the articles, then the session reports, then image comments, then the images. It's 368K for that one file.

RSS feeds usually only contain the ten or so most recent changes to a site--not all of the content for a site. And as far as I've seen the items are always in reverse chronological order. So the newest item is the first in the list followed by the second newest item, etc.

You could probably save a lot of bandwidth by reducing how much content is put into the feeds.

But other than the size and ordering of the elements in teh Alhambra feed, it looks like Bloglines is parsing all of that data correctly because when I look at the Alhambra feed on Bloglines and tell it to display all items, I see everything in the correct order.

However, when I look at the feed for Settlers of Catan in Bloglines and tell it to display all items, the newes item is the "Trading in the Trading Phases" article. When I visit that article on BGG, I see it has four replies but none of those replies show up in Bloglines. Looking at the actual XML for the Catan feed shows that it does contain the replies. They're just not showing up in Bloglines for some reason. I'll file a bug report with them.

-- Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.