Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some friends of mine were here in the iron city from all around, kind of a college friends get together.

Our one friend melodie really likes the bean game so she requested that I bring it over. First we played cranium which was a much better game for the size of the crowd we had at 9 people. And that game was a lot of fun.

Then we tried Bohnanza with 7. The first game we played was open handed at the suggestion of one of hte new players, though I actually think that playing open handed hurts the game rather than helps it. We tore through the deck three times quick. This being a combination of cutting out the whacky bean and having so many players. I won the first game with 10 points, I suggested that people were hoarding too much and that was the reason for the low scores and the quick game.

the second game we played was with closed hands and this one flowed much closer to the how the game usually plays. people were a bit quicker to harvest beanfields and the scores went up. I think the winning score was 13 this time. And the lowest score was 9 I think rather than the 7 from the first round.

The third and fourth games we played were with 5 players and they flowed much better. I think that both of these games were won by the new players and both by women. Not that saying that women winning two games in a row is an oddity but they were outnumbered at the table. I do think that men and gamers in particular tend to play the game rather tightly with reguards to make deals and this hurts them in this game.

Also in the last game I bought the third bean feild. Interestingly it kept me out of a lot of trades and I held onto cards in my hand because of it. And I can think of at least one moment when if I had kept a card for trading rather than planting in #3 it cost me a nice trade down the line.

summary: People like bean game.

Newbies do well at bean game.

Bean game isn't optimal with 7 play a party game instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.