Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so you like to bag your bits. What do you do with the plastic insert that many games come with when you bag your bits? Usually the bagged bits won't fit into the box without removing the plastic insert.

Does the plastic insert help keep the box sturdy? Does removing the plastic insert increase the potential for box damage (over the long run)?

How do you handle the plastic insert dilemma?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a diehard bagger. It drives me nuts when manufacturers install those goofy "everything has a place" inserts. My perfect insert would be one that held the board at the top, and just a big cavern below to hold all my baggies of components.

I have on occasion thrown the insert into the recycle bin if I cannot put all the components into bags. I have also taken a pair of sissors and cut out a divider or two to make room.

Cheers
Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with most inserts is they require you store the game horizontally. I store mine on their side in a book case (less box crushage and easier to pick the game off the shelf (ever try pulling the bottom game when 5+ are stacked on each other.))

If the tray causes stuff to fall out, into to the trash it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I put everything in plastic bags too, but I just can’t throw those inserts out. The point of the bags is to make sure nothing gets lost, and in some small way those things are part of the game. I usually can make the components still fit inside the inserts once they’re bagged, but not always. Alot of times the insert is more or less hollow underneath, so if necessary, some stuff can be stored underneath the insert. As a last resort, I take a big bag (Ziplock gallon or even 2-gallon depending on the size of the box), and put one big bag around everything in the box, insert and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I always bag, but would never throw the insert away, considering it to detract from the value of the game (...I don't know why, as I'm never likely to sell any of my games!)

...sometimes you can get away with turning the insert upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bag and have yet to find a box that I can't get everything back inside. The trick is not to seal air into the bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I used to be concerned about lowering the value of the games if I throw away the plastic tray of a game--then I thought, "I'm never selling this game, so what?"

I'm a chronic bagger as well. But if the bagged components don't fit in the box with the tray, the tray gets the heave-ho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stowing your games horizontally! Your a genius.. Where were you like ten years ago!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
I bag and have yet to find a box that I can't get everything back inside. The trick is not to seal air into the bags.

That's also the key to keeping my leftovers fresh!

Chris R wrote:
I stopped storing my games vertically when my boards started warping. Its really annoying when part of the board won't lay flat anymore.

Has any other "vertical storer" experienced this? I store my games on their ends, love the way it looks, love the convenience of pulling something off the shelf, love the ability to browse the collection, and I can put up with stuff getting jumbled (hey, that's why I bag them). But this warping comment has me concerned, has anyone else had that happen?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive always stored HeroQuest normally, with other games tacked on it with no problem to warping on the gameboard. The box starts to suffer from weight of other games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am crazy about bagging and rubber banding. (I know rubber bands get dissed by a lot of my fellow Geeks, but it's the only way to keep those cards in good order.) I sometimes toss the game box tray if I can't fit the bags in, but not too often. Just this weekend I tossed the Boomtown insert after I found loose Boomtown poker chips at the bottom of the large storage box the game had been in.
In fact, I am so crazy, my game group was giving me serious grief about it the other night -- even though they themselves are mild baggers.
I'm a bagger because as a kid I lost some Lego small parts and had a fit. My parents told me that if I was more careful putting my toys away, that wouldn't happen. Since then, baggies (is that a trademark?) have been my friend -- although I prefer the ZipLocs nowadays.
--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
loonling wrote:
I know rubber bands get dissed by a lot of my fellow Geeks, but it's the only way to keep those cards in good order.

I find that putting cards in the small snack sized bags works very well. You could put the
rubber bands around the bagged cards to protect them from the bad effects of the rubber
bands (tearing and gunk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.