Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
December is always a tough time to get the group together. However, we managed to get five of us last Saturday for a game of Blackbeard. (Dave was busy with two functions that afternoon. Patch has a potential new member of the group, but couldn't get in touch with him.)

The game does have somewhat fiddly rules, since there's a number of things that can be done, that often don't act like any of the others. Since we don't play it that often, there was a good amount of looking up being done. However, things actually went fairly smoothly, and we finished up a bit after 3, well ahead of Mark's short schedule of having to leave around 4.

Jason had a very rough day of it, having a couple of the poorer pirates, and was plagued by poor die luck all game, and never scored any victory points. Everyone else did better, though I had a couple turns wasted by poor die rolls as well.

The new thing of the day was attacking ports. No one had really bothered with it in previous games, but Zjonni attacked a South American port, and got a away with some notoriety and a good amount of booty. In fact, things went pretty well for Zjonni all day, and we were generally not spending a lot of efforts on Anti-pirate actions this time around. In fact the only King's Commissioner of the day was also his (from a KC Surprise card), who sank his target, giving him a few more points, so he got the win at 89 victory points.

Mark came in second with 32, only a bit more than a third of Zjonni's score.

I tried placing my two initial pirates on opposite sides of the board—North Atlantic and East Africa. I never had great success, but I did moderately well. When the General Pardon went out, I retired my Atlantic pirate with an okay score, but I was still struggling to get the other one to a port when the game ended, giving me 19 points for the day. Patch managed only 15 (I think it was his pirate the KC got, but I don't remember at the moment), putting me in the middle of the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.