Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a thread here sometime ago about one gaming-group which had their own way of rating their players. Can't find that thread anymore, but I got an idea to do something like that myself.

Is there a rating system out there what you use to rate your players.
I would like if there is a system that actually doesn't just count the winner, but also rate 2nd, and 3rd as better place than coming last. Eg. player A wins over B, C and D. And player B wins over C and D, etc.

This so there still should be some competition, even knowing who the winner is.

Any suggestions?? Any links??

BTW, I know about the ELO system, but maybe there is a variant?
Also if there is some Excel help to lighten the calculations

Cheers,
//Jonas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Jonas. I assume you are talking of something like a 'League Table'. We have been running one for several years with a cup awarded to the top player at the end of the year. The original intention behind it was to avoid maverick play whereby towards the end of the game a player stakes-all either to win or come last. This can often wreck a good simulation - particularly in a business game. So what we aimed for was for players to play in order to come as high up the rating as possible.

The initial problem was with the different number of players. In the end we decided on for a six player game 500 / 300 / 200 / 100 / 0 / 0. For a five you merely knock off one of the '0'. For a four player it is 500 / 250 / 100 / 0. (I for the moment forget what we do for a three player) We found it important that the winner always gets 500 no matter how many play and the player coming last gets zero.

It is also important to record the number of games each person plays because their total score is always divided by the games played in order to arrive at their average per game. This finally determines the best player at the end of the agreed period (in our case a year, as I said)

We later added one refinement. For every six games played each player is given a 'joker'. Before each game players secretly state whether they will be playing their joker. Then at the end, each player who played a joker has the league points he/she earned in the game doubled.

And that's about it.

Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Derek,

I think I will go for something simple as this.
But I would like to hear if there is someone else who have a rating-system they like??

I know there was a post earlier about one group that had a ranking that also included the playing time and the number of players. But I can't find that post now

Think I would like to have a combination of that and Derek's.

anyone PLEASE laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bolchover
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
One possible rating system is AREA:
http://wolff.to/area/

As implemented on that website, it ranks people according to the number of wins, taking account of the ability of the people that they beat.

It is relatively easy to extend the AREA rating to work on a complete ranking, A>B>C>D. This has been implemented on my own ratings website, and it appears to converge pretty quickly.

From memory, each play starts with a rating of 5000. If player A comes ahead of player B in a game, then player A gains
[100-(rating of player A - rating of player B)/20]/(number of players -1)
(with a minimum gain of 1 point)
Player B loses a similar amount.

To take an example, if we have a 3-player game, with A winning, B second, and C third, and pre-game ratings of
A: 5080
B: 4880
C: 5040
then the new ratings are
A: 5080 + (90/2) + (98/2) = 5174
B: 4880 - (90/2) + (108/2) = 4889
C: 5040 - (98/2) - (108/2) = 4937

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The initial problem was with the different number of players. In the end we decided on for a six player game 500 / 300 / 200 / 100 / 0 / 0. For a five you merely knock off one of the '0'. For a four player it is 500 / 250 / 100 / 0. (I for the moment forget what we do for a three player) We found it important that the winner always gets 500 no matter how many play and the player coming last gets zero.

The problem I see with this system is that the average score per player changes with differing number of players.

For each number of players in a game, the average points earned by all players will be
6 players: (500 + 300 + 200 + 100 + 0 + 0) / 6 = 183.33
5 players: (500 + 300 + 200 + 100 + 0) / 5 = 220
4 players: (500 + 250 + 100 + 0) / 4 = 212.5

So the players in a five player game will do better on average than in a six player game. Why not something like:

6 players: 500, 300, 200, 150, 50, 0
5 players: 500, 250, 175, 75, 0
4 players: 500, 200, 100, 0
3 players: 500, 100, 0

Then the average score per player is always 200 and first place is always 500 and last place is always 0.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.