David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have an issue with getting my friends to play boardgames.

Watch a Tom Vasel review. Man, that guy is EXCITED to teach you about a game he likes. When someone is that excited about something, it's hard not to pay attention and get excited too.

I don't really have that.

Now, I think there are some extrinsic factors at work here. I generally feel like if they didn't outright ask to play a game, I'm not only teaching the game, I'm selling the game. This wouldn't be so bad, but here's how things generally are in my household with 7/10 of the guests I bring over...

Scenario #1:
"You want to play a game?"
"Yeah, we could do that."

Scenario #2:
"You want to play Beatles Rock Band?"
"YESSSS!! I LOVE BEATLES ROCK BAND!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! OMFG! BEATLES ARE THE GREATEST! LETS PLAY IT UNTIL MY HANDS FALL OFF!"

I'm sick of rockband. I'm even more sick of suffering through my friends sucking at it. I digress.

However, I also think the rockband loop I'm on is a feedback on my initial problem of not being enthusiastic about teaching a game. It's a horrible vicious circle, and I know I can't be the only person.

Any ideas about how to psyche yourself up for enthusiastically teaching a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I become very enthusiastic when I begin to explain/teach a game. I have to be very careful or else I end up speaking very loud at a bunch of wide-eyed and spooked people.

I don't try to become enthusiastic, it just happens naturally.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you. It seems I'm just hardwired to become excited when anything with board games happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Any ideas about how to psyche yourself up for enthusiastically teaching a game?

Naw, that's more about salesmanship than gaming. Marketers are hammering us all day with forced enthusiasm, and many of us have developed defenses (we shut down/back out when we hear it).

Either you're playing with gamers, in which case the game will sell itself (or not), or you're luring in non-gamers, who will prove to be receptive (or very likely not). Either way, if you reach the point where you're explaining rules, you want clarity, not hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
I'm not sure what advice I can give you. It seems I'm just hardwired to become excited when anything with board games happens.

If it's your nature, that's cool. But if it's not, as in Bippi's case, you can't really fake it. Be yourself is the best bet, in this social situation and in others. Or at least as much of yourself as you can manage without getting arrested. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.