Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello gamers!

I just wanted to share a fantastic gaming experience with you. Since my wife Sylwia is overdue and I'm already on holidays and there's nothing to do than waiting we spend most of our days boardgaming.

Today we broke out Sid Meier's Civilization. We drew civs randomly. Sylwia ended up with the Romans and I got the Egyptians.

Setup: The Egyptian starting location I chose was incredibly good, starting out with 6 trade and Wheat in my capital outskirts. That gave me the lead in the technology race early on, and the Construction starting tech and the Egyptian special ability were able to make up for the meager 2 hammers I produced. Sylwia was undecided since it was her first time playing the Romans, and just went for the suggested starting location. That gave her a little bit of everything, including Iron.
Unfortunately for her, I drew the Hanging Gardens as my starting wonder. This was something Sylwia thought was vital to make use of the Roman special ability, and she was complaining so much that I suggested to redraw civs, but she said she wants to hang in there now and see how it ends. And what a game it was!

Early game: The early game was dominated by exploration. Lots of villages around and 2 natural wonders we couldn't use because they ended up on the edge of the map. We both build our second city soon. Sylwia decided to go for trade in her second city, and I build a pure production city. I used the Egyptian special power to build Temples and Trading Posts in my cities. Sylwia, having the Republic, gathered a lot of resources and fought 2 villages, and advanced pretty fast on the culture track, and together with the Code of Laws got 3 great people. They were all artists, producing 2 culture, giving her capital an astonishing culture output of 8. This decided it for her to go for the cultural victory (she was already half way through the track).

Midgame: I was still undecided where to go. Tech victory seemed too far down the road since Sylwia made astonishingly quick progress on the culture track, and I couldn't compete for culture despite me building Stonehenge in my second city. I also decided it was too late to go for an Economic Victory because I had only 1 coin at that point, and military victory seemed impossible because of Sylwia's barracks and her lead in military technology. Also, I was outnumbered in units almost 1:2. The game was not going well for me despite the great start. I realized I spread myself too thin. My techs mostly featured buildings to make use of the Egyptian special ability.
Then the game changed in my favor. Sylwia built Angkor Wat in her capital, turning it into a cultural Mekka with a culture output of 10. But under Angkor Wat the Sydney Opera House was waiting (giving an advance on the culture track at the start of turn). I new if Sylwia's going to get this I'm screwed. And I all planned it out: Using my 4 hammers culture card, 2 wheat with some resource abilities and my 2 scouts parked in forests I can get 25 hammers in my third city. Woohoo.
But it was Sylwia's turn, and she had the same idea and bought it. By that time she already was at the beginning of the third Age on the culture track. Oh dear, this game's not ending well. Let's just go down in dignity, I thought.

Endgame: My best move was really to crush her with my non-existent military. A crazy plan since I had only 4 units, almost no military techs, no barracks and a democratic government. But at least I got Napoleon. And I got an estimated 3 turns left to my defeat. On the next turn I plunged into Anarchy, and during movement I maneuvered my armies towards the enemy. I researched Flight, giving me movement 6 and the ability to build aircraft. Sylwia smelled my plan and played some defections and mass defections on me next turn, but thanks to my Hanging Gardens my zombie armies kept coming back.
On turn 2 I bought 3 airplanes. Sylwia harvested culture in her capital, but she didn't use it to advance on the culture track. I asked her: “What are you doing?”. But she just gave me that evil smile, blushed and I could see her hands were sweaty. I could tell she was up to no good. Her secret plan was to save that trade for Atomic Theory. With her 2 uranium resources at hand she could've crushed me easily, but using the culture track advance could've won the game for her next turn. I cannot blame her, who could resist nukes? I would've done exactly the same.
It was my turn, and I moved onto her last army piece on the board, attacking 5 vs 5. I swiped the floor with her units! Airplanes rock!!! I took 3 trade as my spoils, making her just short of 1 trade to afford Atomic Theory. devil

Last turn: At the end of City Management Sylwia was on the last space of the culture track, down to 1 unit, with 2 of my armies waiting in front of her capital. I bought some more airplanes, and upgraded my Infantry to level 3. There was nothing she could do about it, poor Sylwia was crushed by the mighty Egyptian biplanes.

We agreed that this was one of the best gaming experiences we ever had. This game is always tense to the end, and certainly one of the best games I've ever played!

If you don't have this game yet GET IT NOW!!!!

Happy gaming,
Holger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The MatrixCube wrote:
I drew the Hanging Gardens as my starting wonder.

I couldn't compete for culture despite me building Stonehenge in my capital.

Sylwia smelled my plan and played some defections and mass defections on me next turn, but thanks to my Hanging Gardens my zombie armies kept coming back.

It sounds like you made the same mistake I did when I learned to play and built multiple wonders per city. Unfortunately you can only have one per city. That makes it hard to get modern wonders out in a two player game. Glad you had a good time playing, I hope Sylwia had as much fun as you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks for pointing that out, but I actually meant I built Stonehenge in my second city. I got confused writing this up, I think we played it right, but I know we forgot multiple rules the last couple of times we played. I fixed that in the OP.

Cheers!

PS.: And yes, Sylwia had a blast, too. Not only because of the game itself. When I introduced her to board games about 2 years ago it became clear very soon that she's not a confrontational gamer at all. Race for the Galaxy without take-overs is still her favorite. But as time goes on she learned to use military might, too, eg in games like Through the Ages. The Civ game I described was the first time she wanted to use open warfare to end the game in her favor. That was something new, and I could see how excited she was. That made the game great for me, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, thanks and really glad u enjoyed the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

Not sure I understand this comment though:

The MatrixCube wrote:
and 2 natural wonders we couldn't use because they ended up on the edge of the map.

Couldn't you still have built a city next to the natural wonders? And failing that, you could have parked a scout on them to take advantage of them. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zorg peewee
United States
California
flag msg tools
That was a fantastic report could you please post more like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
A truly excellent post, well done sir!

I look forward to not only getting this apparently great game, but also to read more of your sessions reports.

I am especially intrigued by this game, seeing you have a Through the Ages badge as well as a Race for the Galaxy, two of my favorite two to three player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your nice words!

And yes, if you like Civ games, then you can't go wrong with this one.

I have to say that Through the Ages is still the better game, in the sense that it's a much meatier and thinkier game, whereas Civ is just pure fun. Where TtA feels like a chore, Civ feels like the relaxing hours after work, and for us Civ dethtroned TtA as our 2-hour game of choice.

But if we need just the quick fix of Civ building we grab Race for the Galaxy or Innovation. A game of Civ is a big investment in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.