Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
What are some of the wargames that are more complex than Memoir '44 that have computer versions? Not vassal or other services where you can play the boardgame, but fully developed computer versions. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
While they aren't based on any real boardgames, Matrix games has a plethora of wargame like computer wargames with AI. I haven never played any of them though.

I have heard there is an iPad version of Battlelore, but it is just re-themed and doesn't have the 'lore' element. That isn't much of a step above Memoir though.

I feel your pain though, it would be nice to find a few. Panzer General II is pretty easy to find and download, and it is pretty good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You'll want to bump into http://www.hpssims.com/

Depending on what you're looking for you'll find:

Squad Battles - ASL-like
Panzer Campaigns - Standard Combat Series
Campaign XXXXXXX - Pretty much like most battle/campaign specific wargames

Their main designer is John Tiller so virtually all of the games look and play the same once you get into the system. They have A LOT going on under the hood however and some of them are incredibly researched and detailed.

The Campaign Gettysburg game, for example, has something like 600 scenarios.

Matrix Games is VERY hit and miss with the titles they publish. HPS Sims are generally well regarded across the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer General: Allied Assault. On Xbox360.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
War! Age of Imperialism had a PC version w/ decent AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happened to download and try it yesterday! It was so-so. Squares, not hex, was a big turn off. 6x5 maps was a HUGE let down. I enjoyed the economy, cards, and battles, but I am looking for something more complex. The same game mechanics with large hex maps would be awesome.

ralpher wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer General is available for free on Linux as Lgeneral and on windows (with allied general bundled) as PG Forever: http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45039

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Cool. Thanks. Checking it out now.

kerpob2 wrote:
Panzer General is available for free on Linux as Lgeneral and on windows (with allied general bundled) as PG Forever: http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45039

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.