Subject: Differences in VG Rulebook(s)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started to look at the new VG rulebooks & I noticed that the initial toughness of each gate has been changed from 8 to 6. (Presumably to make the Battering Ram a more effective strategy.)

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through the new rulebooks in detail & identified any other fundamental changes like this, or is this the only one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent de Wildt
Netherlands
Beverwijk
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm fairly interested in this game and heard rumors about a very badly written rulebook in the first edition I would like to know if the rules done by Valley Games have been changed somehow to make them more understandable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pottage
United Kingdom
Nr Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
The Valley Games website says:-
"We have been working with a number of people to rework the rules into 2 separate handbooks, one for the Defender and one for the Invaders".
Which is encouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velusion has uploaded both rulebooks as files to BGG:

Attacker:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61849/stronghold-vg-rules-...

Defender:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61463/stronghold-vg-rules-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pottage
United Kingdom
Nr Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
The two new rulebooks look great with lots of examples. Thank-you for directing me to them. Would you say they are clearer than the much criticised old rulebooks? I don't want to buy the game if these new ones are just as full of omissions and mistakes as the originals were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rulebooks were fine, certainly not worth not buying the game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
keithpottage wrote:
The two new rulebooks look great with lots of examples. Thank-you for directing me to them. Would you say they are clearer than the much criticised old rulebooks? I don't want to buy the game if these new ones are just as full of omissions and mistakes as the originals were.

VG rewrote and cleared up some things in the new rulebooks. I would certainly use those first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
The original rulebooks were fine, certainly not worth not buying the game over.

The "problems" with the previous rulebooks are greatly exaggerated. I can't really give you a fair evaluation of the new ones since I already know the rules and I'm not as likely to notice any omissions. The bottom line is that if you think the game sounds fun to you, then buy this new edition when it comes out. If you don't simply because you fear the rulebook quality, then you're doing yourself a great disservice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The first rule book, wasn't bad at all. I was actually quite shocked by all the questions people had. I think there are to many rules lawyers and people looking for loop holes in games now-a-days. At least with the people I have been playing with.

I'm always amazed, with all the questions people have, when a new game comes out. For instance, I just recently picked up Road Kill Rally and went looking for an answer to a question I had. The only one thing I wasn't quite sure of and was overwhelmed with 7 pages of questions, that never even crossed my mind.

I say buy the game, read the rules and play it and have fun. It's really nowhere near as bad as it seems, by all the questions people come up with. I don't mean any disrespect to those that ask the questions. Surely they are good questions and it's nice to have the answers, for if or when those situations may arise. Plus the way I look at it, is it's not a wasted investment. You could easily trade or sell the game, if it turns out to be not to your liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In a 3 or 4 player game, the attackers may only build a grand total of one battering ram section per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Old Quartermaster:
Quote:
The Invader can move two extra Units to the Rampart in Phase 6 over the number of Units the issued Order allows for. Moreover, the chosen Rampart can house 9 Units instead of 7.

New Quartermaster:
Quote:
During Phase 6, the Invader may move 2 additional Units from this Rampart per Dispatch than what is normally allowed. Additionally, this Rampart can hold 9 Invading Units, instead of 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.