United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are pleased to announce that DICE HATE ME (www.dicehateme.com) has selected Alien Frontiers as their 2010 Game Of The Year.

All 3,000 copies of the second printing of Alien Frontiers (due by March 31, 2011) will proudly display a Dice Hate Me award badge decal.

Twilight Struggle and Shogun were chosen as First and Second Runners-Up respectively.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

CleverMojo wrote:
Twilight Struggle and Shogun were chosen as First and Second Runners-Up respectively.


2005 and 2006 called, wondering what happened here.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- parkibricks -- --
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Congrats.

CleverMojo wrote:
Twilight Struggle and Shogun were chosen as First and Second Runners-Up respectively.


2005 and 2006 called, wondering what happened here.


Shogun had an expansion in 2010, but I'm not sure about Twilight Struggle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
2005 and 2006 called, wondering what happened here. :what:

From the article:

Quote:
Just like our compatriot GeekInsight over at Giant Fire Breathing Robot, the contenders for the Game of the Year aren’t limited to those games released in 2010 - the field of entrants is open to any game to which I was introduced this year.

I do think it's kind of silly though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:
From the article:

Quote:
Just like our compatriot GeekInsight over at Giant Fire Breathing Robot, the contenders for the Game of the Year aren’t limited to those games released in 2010 - the field of entrants is open to any game to which I was introduced this year.


Well, there you go, then. It just shows I need to read more than just the parts with pretty pictures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Waaay coool!

Congratulations!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend that has a blog 'The Dice Hate Me'. So, when a saw the title I thought YEAH! Neil's got ahold of Alien Frontiers.

But, then I opened the thread cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
2005 and 2006 called, wondering what happened here.

From the article:

Quote:
Just like our compatriot GeekInsight over at Giant Fire Breathing Robot, the contenders for the Game of the Year aren’t limited to those games released in 2010 - the field of entrants is open to any game to which I was introduced this year.

I do think it's kind of silly though.


From an individual gamer's perspective, I don't find it silly at all. The average "gamer" isn't going to experience every release in the year that it comes out. The only individuals that are able to do so are those that either have a large chunk of disposable income or the rare few that are now sent a multitude of games to be reviewed (*cough* Tom Vasel *cough*). I would say the average gamers are those that get to experience a few new games a year at their FLGS or from purchasing something they find interesting. More often than not, those games are going to be ones that have already been on the shelves for a year or two.

I have played many games over the years - quite a few while they were hot off the presses, but more that are a couple years out from initial release. As such, I have chosen to pattern my Game of the Year award around a more realistic perspective, and in the spirit of an average gaming experience rather than an elite one.

On a more personal note, I think that it only shows what a wonderful game Alien Frontiers is since it was up against a lot of other games that have garnered their own awards and accolades over the years.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
For a site that states how the dice hates them, they sure didn't pick a game that helps them out.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TannaBanana!
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I have a friend that has a blog 'The Dice Hate Me'. So, when a saw the title I thought YEAH! Neil's got ahold of Alien Frontiers.

But, then I opened the thread :cry:



Haha....since we just looked at his blog the other day....I opened it up thinking the same thing!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
ScrappyGirl wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
I have a friend that has a blog 'The Dice Hate Me'. So, when a saw the title I thought YEAH! Neil's got ahold of Alien Frontiers.

But, then I opened the thread cry



Haha....since we just looked at his blog the other day....I opened it up thinking the same thing!!!


Sry guys but I think it'd be obvious that MY TDHM Blog would only host Dominant Species as game of the year. Don't get me wrong, Twilight Struggle would still be my 2005 runner up for 2010 game of the year though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.