Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played this game and just finished the rules. I hope to break this out as a party game at Christmas. One thing is puzzling me, what is the role/purpose of the Seer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I have never played this game and just finished the rules. I hope to break this out as a party game at Christmas. One thing is puzzling me, what is the role/purpose of the Seer?

The seer wakes up after the werewolves and gets to pick one person by pointing at them. The moderator then tells them whether they are a werewolf or villager. Then the seer goes to bed (closes eyes) and everyone wakes up.

That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Yasi
United States
Tewksbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Werewolf! Good luck with your Christmas game. I don't know how big a group will be involved, but to make it easier for all of you, here are some tips for your first game:

- Keep it simple. The more roles you have to call at Night, the more unwieldy the game can become, especially if you're a rookie Moderator. Until you become more comfortable with the game, stick to the standard game (using just the Seer, Werewolf, and Villager roles).

If all goes well, it shouldn't take long for all of you to want a more complex game. When that happens, I've found that these roles are easy to add to the mix and don't bog things down too much because you don't need to call them each night:

- Hunter (people LOVE this role!)
- Mayor
- Wolf Cub
- Lycan
- Diseased
- Tough Guy
- Minion

One final tip for you: If you plan on making the game the LEAST bit complex, print up some "cheat sheets" with quick (one-line) role explanations so that people don't get confused re: what's in play and what isn't AND can easily recall what role does what. I've learned the hard way that the game can get very frustrating without this - especially for more casual gamers.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

The seer wakes up after the werewolves and gets to pick one person by pointing at them. The moderator then tells them whether they are a werewolf or villager. Then the seer goes to bed (closes eyes) and everyone wakes up.

That's it.

Ok, so the seer will obviously deduce werewolves, but he/she is unknown to the others, right? So they don't know who the Seer is. This makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Yasi
United States
Tewksbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Ok, so the seer will obviously deduce werewolves, but he/she is unknown to the others, right? So they don't know who the Seer is. This makes sense.

Correct. Also - feel free to experiment with the voting methods. In my opinion, the standard "nomination" voting method sometimes doesn't work very well, especially with novices. I've found that people respond much more favorably to a free-form discussion, where the tide of accusations can freely swing from one person to another without getting bogged down in procedure. When the discussion starts to peter out, I call for a vote by saying "3...2...1... POINT!" Each person then points at the person they want to lynch (or doesn't point at all if undecided). If someone takes too long to point, or switches targets after seeing how others are voting, I disqualify their vote.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've found that this style leads to more overall participation and some truly dramatic moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as vote mechanics go, there are many, some better than others. I offer these ideas for various vote mechanics and when they are best suited:

1) The free vote

I use the free vote as the standard voting process when playing Werewolf. Basically, people point at someone, and once a majority of the players are on one person, that person is dead. To signal the difference between a vote and just pointing at somebody, I have the players raise their other hand (the one not pointing at somebody) to signal that it is a vote.

This voting method has the benefits of being fluid, visible, and providing information to the group, which helps to generate discussion in later rounds. Disadvantages to this voting mechanic are that it requires everyone to vote to get a majority, it can be deadlocked with even players, and it can get confusing for the moderator when multiple people are being voted upon.

2) The clear vote

I use the clear vote as a tie-breaker, or also as the voting mechanic if the Free Vote does not generate a majority within a set time limit (I impose a 1 minute per active player time limit on games - 9 players = 9 minutes first round, 7 minutes second round, etc). The clear vote starts with the most suspiscious player (usually one of the ones who tied in votes, or the person with the most votes if a majority consensus is not had), who chooses somebody to be safe from the lynch. The chosen player raises their hand, to signify that they cannot be chosen again. That person then chooses somebody else, but not the starting player. That safe player then raises their hand, and chooses someone else who does not yet have their hand raised, and so on until there are only two people left to choose from. The last chooser picks one of the two to live, and the other is lynched. The person who starts off this voting process DOES NOT start with their hand raised.

This voting method is good for moving a game along. If the conversation has died, a stalemate has occurred, time has run out, etc., this is a good voting mechanic to force the village to get on with it. It also provides information to discuss in later rounds: you picked this person to be safe, and they were evil, blah blah. It has the downsides of forcing one player to make the final choice, it can lead to an automatic loss if the village is down on numbers and the wolves play it smart, and choosing a starting player to initiate the vote is arbitrary at best. I propose my method as a fair start, but I find it difficult in practice.

3 and 4) The Big Brother and Survivor vote mechanics

These voting styles are entertaining if you want your game to feel like the TV shows, but they are somewhat unweildy in big groups if you want the game to move on smoothly. I have yet to use either, and I only mention them as alternatives. For more information on them, check the rulebook that comes with the Ultimate Edition.

5) The nomination Vote

I do not use the nomination vote, so I will not speak about it as I tend to be biased against it. With experienced players, I find it alright, but when playing with new players or a crowd, I find the crowd just goes along for the ride and does not get involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first few games of ultimate ww over the weekend, a couple of small practice games which people said they enjoyed but didn't really get the point. There was obviously some post game discussion cause a few new people asked if we could run a game after dinner (we were camping so there was a pretty fluid crowd). The first after dinner game had 19 players, only 2 who had been in the earlier games an ranging in ages from 13 to 50ish.

I found everyone got the nomination style of voting pretty well and it helped differentiate an actual vote from random but unsupported allegations (including some from the restless dead who were remarkably restless as the game (and the drinks) progressed.

I ran it pretty loosly, if there was a general clammour fora particular person to be lynched I'd just clarify that it was considered nominated and could I take it that there was a seconder, and move to their defense. It definately seemed to flow well with people often trying to nominate a second lynching straight away

I'd definately endorse the keep it simple approach. I added in teenage werewolf early but that was all. It was a nice way to get the game flowing, people were often throwing it rules and ideas to try and trap the teenage werewolf as it seemed a clear starting point.

The mayor and hunter were our next added roles, the mayor seemed to make sense to people a lot more when they voted for them on day one. The downside was that it meant that the werewolves could end up mayor which is a real handicap for the villages (although the werewolf mayor threw the teenage werewolf to the villages one time to create an alibi!)

On the 2nd day of our camp people read through the other cards and were keen for a range of other roles to be included. We added the sorcerer and witch and replaced the teenage werewolf with the wolf cub (but didn't tell anyone). With 4 night phases the game slowed quite noticeably, and although people seemed to understand the new roles they didn't seem to noticeably add to the game. I also, unfortunately in hindsight, chose to try a no reveal approach to lynching and other kills which afterwards people said wasn't as exciting. The reveal seems to give a new group more obvious feedback which they find useful for assessing their progress. A few people did point out that you can work most of it out anyway, but I'd agree that there us something pretty funny about seeing the gleeful faces of a lynching village turn to horror as they realize that they've just toasted another innocent

Oh, I'd also say that the seer seemed to be the hardest role for some people to play well.. Some got it easily, our best seer was the 13 year old who understood the need to avoid appearing to know too much, but the necessity of using what he knew, better than any of the others. But it's worth spending a bit of time outlining some if the different motivations around revealing yourself as the seer etc.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed it, we certainly did!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had a great experience with this game at camp!

As far as revealing/not revealing as the Seer, I always adopt the following approach: my ultimate goal is to give the most information I can to the Village before dying, and to do so BEFORE the Evils catch on to me. Once I have something concrete (I survived D1 and D2, and know two people are on my team) and usable, I reveal, regardless of whether I hit a wolf or not. If my views are alive, bonus.

The reason why I do it is because if I sit on the information the Moderator gives me, I'm ultimately hurting the Village by not offering it up. The clearer I make it for everyone that I'm the Seer and that the Mod told me what's going on, the easier it becomes for the Village to find evils. Sure, I become a target in the process, but if doing so helps the Village (and me, even if I'm dead and out of the game) win the game, then I did my job as the Seer.

I can't believe how many times I've seen as Moderator the Seer get told that so-and-so is a Werewolf and not share it with the group, and thus losing the game. When questioned afterwards, almost always to a T everyone says that they tried to hint to the other players but nobody was paying attention to their hints. This is why I make it blatantly obvious when I reveal.

This game is not just about figuring out what's going on; it's also about figuring out how to get everyone else to believe what you're saying is true (regardless of role). The more people focus on the second part, the easier the first becomes.

My two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.