Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim D'Ambrosia
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Game Play
Each person gets a board which contains two sentence templates, with placeholders for different parts of speech. For example:

(article) (adjective) (noun) (verb) (preposition) (article) (noun)

There are a number of word cards for each part of speech, and the point of the game is to make up sentences, possibly silly ones, with the words. For example, the template above could be turned into:

The quick fox jumps over the dog

That's the basic idea, but it's turned into a game with turns, and a spinner and die which determine which card you get next.

Opinion

I picked this up for my kids, who are beginning readers. My daughter's learning sentence structure in school, which fits in well. They enjoy it, and have learned something from it, so it's been worth it.

That being said, this game could be a whole lot better.

1. The components. The game comes with a twelve-sided die, which is made out of thin cardboard which you have to fold yourself. It's about the size of a golfball when assembled. Guess how likely that is to survive contact with a four-year old. There's also a spinner, which is not attached to the game board, but sits in an open circle. So it's always coming loose, not to mention the usual problem with spinners, ambiguity near lines.

2. The game play. You roll the die, which tells you to either (i) draw a card for a given part of speech, or (ii) move on a track on the board. The only point of the track is that it has spaces to tell you which type of card to draw. The whole process is baroque, and not really that interesting. There's even conditions for winning, which is really beside the point.

Overall, the word cards and sentence templates deliver as promised, but the rest of the package could have used a lot more thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.