Popular Tags: [View All]
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-120492...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 7 - year old designs board game sold by major retailers
Good for him!

...the little shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come this gem of a game isn't in the BGG database?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
How come this gem of a game isn't in the BGG database?

Good question. Looks like the game is called "Advent-ure" in the BBC article but "Animal Advent-ure" in this other article. I couldn't find either title in the BGG database.

Maybe it's not in the database because it's new, expensive (25 pounds) and only available from one source.
http://www.harrods.com/product/special-gifts/animal-adventur...

Looks like the designer has his picture on the box front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably one of those brats that keep playing on my lawn, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, don't be mean! This is a wonderful story. Bless him for his creativity and persistence--he stuck with it, working to improve it, for quite some time.

He sounds far too focused, pleasant and well-adjusted to be a brat at all.

I hope he gets a contract for that space chess game. I'll buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Oh, don't be mean! This is a wonderful story. Bless him for his creativity and persistence--he stuck with it, working to improve it, for quite some time.

Bleh... What these stories don't usually tell (and we find out later if the product is successful enough) is that the "child prodigy" is the son/nephew/whatever of someone in the industry. Christopher Paolini comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Barry Kendall wrote:

Bleh... What these stories don't usually tell (and we find out later if the product is successful enough) is that the "child prodigy" is the son/nephew/whatever of someone in the industry. Christopher Paolini comes to mind.

More to the point... is it good, or is it "good for a 9 year-old kid"? The problem (challenge?) with a lot of child "prodigies" is that you're only a child for so long... then you're just an average artist/writer/musician/scientist with no discerning advantage over the others in your field. Call it the Lil' Bow Wow Effect.

Still... hard for me to knock a game without playing it, so maybe I should keep my hypocritical mouth shut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he was too sick to go to school then he should have been too sick to go around designing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story, but I bet Holly Vassal could design better, having learned and played 100s of games, she probably has a better grasp on game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Nice story, but I bet Holly Vassal could design better, having learned and played 100s of games, she probably has a better grasp on game design.

I don't think number of different games played has that high of a correlation to how good you are at designing your own games. I like Tom Vasel's reviews, and he seems like the kind of guy I'd like to sit down and play a game with, but that doesn't mean that I'd like a game he designed more than some others I enjoy by people who have played fewer games (which would probably be my whole collection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

a candidate for 'order of the brown nose'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Barry Kendall wrote:

More to the point... is it good, or is it "good for a 9 year-old kid"? The problem (challenge?) with a lot of child "prodigies" is that you're only a child for so long... then you're just an average artist/writer/musician/scientist with no discerning advantage over the others in your field. Call it the Lil' Bow Wow Effect.

Still... hard for me to knock a game without playing it, so maybe I should keep my hypocritical mouth shut.

PEOPLE...that a child can design a game that retailers are willing to sell is a sign of the complexity level most people want their games to be. Remember, we're the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Christopher Paolini comes to mind.

Paolini's a 'child prodigy'? I mean, I understand that he was in his late teens when he had his first book published, but a prodigy? I guess if all that means is that he got some stuff done before he hit adulthood then I guess he qualifies. But his writing is mediocre; nothing more or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All that 'Game Designer' angst, classic

Good luck to the kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
He's not a prodigy, but his parents were in the publishing business and self-published his first book, and then sent him on like a year or two tour of schools around the country to pull kids out of class and explain how awesome his book was.

Basically, that whole series is a manufactured fad.

So, essentially, he didn't have to dress up as a mermaid in a past career and had something better to sell than a book version of Balderdash.

Bless 'im! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
Paolini's a 'child prodigy'? I mean, I understand that he was in his late teens when he had his first book published, but a prodigy?

Dude, you do know what quotation marks are used for, right? Otherwise, your sarcasm detector may need calibration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It certainly beats out anything from ESSEN, as they're ALL crap! While this ONE isn't since it's from Scotland! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when I was growing up gifted meant you road the short bus.

Today it means you have really great grades, so maybe prodigy has a new meaning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.