Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Empire of the Sun vs Asia Engulfed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Hello, I am looking for a wargame to simulate the Pacific Theatre at either the operational or strategic level and I have narrowed it down to these two. I was hoping people could help me in selecting.

I am looking for something less complicated and playable but yet something to keep players on their toes.

Also let me know if there are any games that I should strongly consider.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking for a good strategic naval game, and EotS got really high praise in that thread.

Haven't had a chance to pick it up and play it yet, so not a personal recommendation!

Strategic Naval Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Victory is very playable. To achieve play balance, however, you should either increase Japan's productivity or decrease the automatic victory level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I have been looking for a good strategic naval game, and EotS got really high praise in that thread.

Haven't had a chance to pick it up and play it yet, so not a personal recommendation!

Strategic Naval Game?

OK! OK! I'll buy it! I should have bought it years ago; I knew I should have bought it when it first came out; I can't delude myself, any longer, that I made the right decision all those years ago!

I'm overseas, however, and can't buy it off ebay until June. Please, anyone, if you want the game, put your desire on hold until July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hungadunga wrote:

Strategic Naval Game?

EotS is a shelf sitter for me too. I have heard that it is a weighty CDG and as such may not meet the complexity criterion. However, don't take my word for it due to my lack of first hand experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have been interested in a good multi-map of the Pacific theater. My problem is that I play solitaire, and the Pacific war was primarily a strategic war, and it's hard not to guess my opponent's strategic aims since I am my opponent.

Are there Pacific wargames out there that can be played solitaire? I'm looking at a theater game, not individual battles. Nor am I looking for games that were specifically designed to be played solo. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
I'm kind of leaning toward EotS because it seems like the map has more granularity an more maneuverability and it is more to scale. Although I like the block system of Asia Engulfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwintz wrote:
it's hard not to guess my opponent's strategic aims since I am my opponent.

You just have to try to forget about that last part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Does anyone know which game plays faster, according to the BGG page EotS plays in 6 hours while AE in 8, but I know those can be inaccurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stewart
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played AE ~4-5 times over the past 6 months. I think it is a fantastic game. It plays truly differently than most wargames i've played - it is much more about maneuver and capturing key territory in order to exert control over sea areas (and thus limiting your opponent's ability to move, supply, etc.) than it is about moving troops, rolling dice, and eliminating units. Many turns do not see any combat. It also does a fantastic job of creating the resource crunch that Japan faced. Playing the Jap player is very tough the first time or two, expecially if they do not capture the oil fields early on and the US player plays an aggressive early game, thus causing Japan to use their precious oil to react.

Unfortunately I have not yet tried EotS, so I cannot compare the two. I feel safe in saying though that you can't go wrong owning AE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Micromegas
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. One last question, it seems as though AE simulates the battles more accurately and in more detail than EotS. However, I read one review that stated when battle occurs between two fleets in AE, the player chooses night or day attacks and day attacks are with planes ony while night attacks are with ships only. This seems somewhat awkward and not realistic.

Can anyone comment on the combat mechanism of each game?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.