United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted from blog: http://goo.gl/1XFre

This popped into my head last night. It's untested and I have doubts about its quality as a game (probably opaque), but it has a novel mechanism with some aesthetic appeal, along with a festive board (for the holidays!). It's a variant of Y on a hexhex board, but with a balancing twist. It's for two players, played with white and black stones on the board shown below.

The board consists of blue, red, and yellow borders, as well as concentric rings, each a different shade of green. The central space is also considered a ring, even though it’s just one space.

Rules

The board begins empty.

The players take turns. On each turn, a player must place one stone of her color onto any empty space, but not on any red, yellow or blue spaces.

If a player places the first stone on a ring interior to all other rings with stones currently on them, then her opponent may optionally switch sides with her, rather than place a stone, on his next turn.

The game ends when a single chain of either white or black stones touches at least one red, one yellow, and one blue space. The player who owns that chain at game’s end wins.

Enjoy, and if you try it, let me know how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
If a player places the first stone on a ring interior to all other rings with stones currently on them, then her opponent may optionally switch sides with her, rather than place a stone, on his next turn.

I like the balancing aspect of this rule. A hopefully educated guess: by analogy to shared pieces, some kind of parity will matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.