Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is it just me or do these two galleries look quite similar to other people too ?

http://www.tehnolog.ru/product/bf.php
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/88080/bitvy-fa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is is just me, or does something about those box covers scream "workers of the glorious revolution!" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb

Is it just me, Or does NOBODY expect the Spanish Inquisition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You others here are going to make the "Commie Jesus" cry: "START the Revolution Comrades, & PURGE these fools post-haste!" cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Jesus (RIP) looks like a homeless trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

Is it just me, Or does NOBODY expect the Spanish Inquisition?

Just you.
I've been expecting them for years. Must be working, they haven't turned up yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was me. The game gallery had zero entries, and most folks seem to consider promotional box images as fair use.

There were also images showing the components of each box, but those aren't simply an untouched image of the cover, so I didn't upload them.

If there's a problem, I'd be happy to delete the images and return the geek gold acquired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A short caption helps to avoid irritation. Like "From publisher`s website".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
How would that avoid irritation? "I know that this is a breach of copyright, and thus against the forum rules, and I have falsely checked the box saying that I have the right to upload this, but I will just slip in a comment that this is from the publisher's website , and then everything will be OK"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after having got some mail from the publisher, you should add "I have written permission to use the image from the intellectual property rights holders" into the "Geek mod" box. It is easy to get permission, for publishers usually are thankful for any kind of promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a couple of promo images (with credit in the caption) for a game that has no pictures? It could be argued that this falls within "fair use".

Adding 60 box cover shots in the image gallery for one game? That's excessive. (Maybe someone figured he'd found a GeekGold mine?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the game in question is rather a game system with dozens of various sets ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

Just finished editing the captions.

I have emailed the company in question. I let them know if there was a problem to let me know and I'll gladly take the images down.

In the meantime, enjoy the images. I was excited to find them and share them with the community. It's an incredible looking game, and hopefully it will become available over here.

And next time if you have a problem with my conduct, please contact me directly. I only found this thread because of my GROGnads subscription.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to How to BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:

Just finished editing the captions.

I have emailed the company in question. I let them know if there was a problem to let me know and I'll gladly take the images down.

+1

Thanks for taking the initiative in seeing to it that the situation is properly addressed!

You can contact me privately if any of the images need to be taken down.

Cheers!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Well, after having got some mail from the publisher, you should add "I have written permission to use the image from the intellectual property rights holders" into the "Geek mod" box. It is easy to get permission, for publishers usually are thankful for any kind of promotion.

This, but it's best to put it in the 'Caption' rather than the 'Geekmod Note' so that the approval notation lasts past the geekmod stage and then if anyone has a question later, the caption will have the answer hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Adding a couple of promo images (with credit in the caption) for a game that has no pictures? It could be argued that this falls within "fair use".

Adding 60 box cover shots in the image gallery for one game? That's excessive. (Maybe someone figured he'd found a GeekGold mine?)

They seem to be all different boxes. It's not that every single side of the box is photographed, with some additional details thrown in for good measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really sorry for all the hubbub. I was under the impression that a cover image or promotional shot fell under fair use for the purpose of commentary, identification and review. A perusal of the image galleries shows that I'm not the only one to make this mistake, and I think it was the sheer volume of images for a very interesting, individual game entry that brought this to attention.

I don't think I violated copyright at all, although I didn't follow BGG's letter of the law for posting images.

At some point we should talk about the current policy. Browsing movies, books, games or music albums at Wikipedia is helpful in part because they have pictures of so many of the covers. Is fair use something that could be used to make it easier to find identifying images for the thousands of image-less games on the site? This would also apply to the RPGs and video game parts of the site.

(I'm assuming thousands, as over 1,600 faceless boardgames were found in 2008 by pinkunicorn's script)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, Alex Watson from Technolog Ltd. wrote me back and thanked me for putting them up, saying it was no problem.

I'll edit all the image captions to say they have been posted with permission.

Sorry again for the crisis. Hopefully we can all rest easy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.