Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kosmowski
United States
Syracuse / Utica area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group has a copy with, to my knowledge, all the expansions. If I wanted to pick up a copy to start playing away from my group, how does starting with Intrigue (in stock at FLGS) compare to the vanilla base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue has more complicated cards than vanilla Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
If you're playing with other people who know the game then Intrigue works fine. If you're going to play Dominion with beginners then the base set would probably do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Intrigue first and my wife hasn't had any issues playing it as her first try at Dominion. I was also in the same boat, the base game was sold out, so I opted for Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mek42 wrote:
My gaming group has a copy with, to my knowledge, all the expansions. If I wanted to pick up a copy to start playing away from my group, how does starting with Intrigue (in stock at FLGS) compare to the vanilla base set?

I personally would prefer Intrigue to start with. It has some additional complexity, but it's only as complex as the cards you choose for your first game. I think there's a thread about good sets of cards - you may find one that's appropriate for beginners.

I also think the Big Money strategy is too powerful in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group already has it I would agee with previous comments and say go for Intrigue. I personnaly like the card on that base set then regular dominion does. It as a lot of multiple choices cards that adds to replayability. Of course when teaching the game to new players this set is a little more tricky, but not by much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like to play with just Intrigue cards (or with a large number of them), though I agree that, overall, the cards are more interesting than the base set cards.

The reason I dislike Intrigue, by itself, is that there are a lot of "choice" cards in Intrigue. I don't think they are necessarily too complicated for beginners, but they do slow the game down. I am not sure I would have gotten hooked on Dominion if the original set had so much downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you do use Intrigue, I wouldn't start on a completely random draw for the reasons stated above (downtime or complexity). Find an easy recommended set, play through, then it should be easy to add just about everything else.

If someone hasn't posted a good beginning Intrigue set, I'm sure someone will if you make a request. I think there's a whole thread devoted to suggested sets for different purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mek42 wrote:

If they've mainly played games like Settlers, Carcassone, or Ticket to Ride, I would stick with the base set for sure. With more experienced gamers, you could start with Intrigue, and it's a better value in the long run. However, that only matters if you reach the long run.

Regardless of skill level, if a fellow gamer actually has both the base set and Intrigue, I'd try to borrow the base set and play it with others. It's a lot easier to tell people that the game gets more complex, than it is to say that there's a simpler set out there. You mainly want to avoid a negative reaction in a first game.

By the way, what does FLGS stand for? I realize I'm the only person on the site who doesn't know that, but...

Edit:thumbsup for the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
By the way, what does FLGS stand for? I realize I'm the only person on the site who doesn't know that, but...

Friendly Local Game Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned on the base set just fine, but the only copy I own (for the next 12 hours or so) is Intrigue.

If you have to have just one box, I suggest it over the base game, especially if you are NOT NEW to the game and, like me, have already done the base game to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philosophyguy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a followup question. Between all of us, my primary gaming group has all the Dominion sets and expansions. The set that I have is Intrigue. If I were to get another set for using when I'm not playing with my primary group, which expansion would you recommend to best compliment Intrigue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Grant
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
philosophyguy wrote:
I have a followup question. Between all of us, my primary gaming group has all the Dominion sets and expansions. The set that I have is Intrigue. If I were to get another set for using when I'm not playing with my primary group, which expansion would you recommend to best compliment Intrigue?

IMO, it's hard to lose with Intrigue. Seaside is a strong compliment, giving a lot of interesting card combinations. The base set is great to fill out a lot of the "simple" cards (Laboratory, Festival, etc.) lacking in Intrigue, as well as some fundamental ones like Chapel and Gardens. Prosperity will probably give you the biggest variety between sets. Even Alchemy goes with it, since that and Intrigue focus the most on action chaining.

So, in short... flip a coin or roll a dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.