Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I should say that I am a bit bias with Thunderstone because I like the game so much. I was very excited to get my hands on the new expansion: Doomgate Legion. It is a great addition to an already great game.

Diseases! Diseases!: There is more variety in the special disease deck and there are more ways that monsters and heores can use them to their advantage.

New Monsters: I like all the new monsters in the expansion. The cultists are my favorite. The new monsters destroy items, give diseases, get stronger depending on your hero, and breach, among other things.

Magic: There are more magic items in this expansion. And while they do magic stuff (i.e. +1 magic attack) they tend to do more damage in the hands of magic users clerics and wizards. And they play into the theme more heavily (See Theme).

New Heroes: Finally a hero who uses those unspent XP points. The heroes are a bit more specialized in this game. The Deep has penalties to attack if eqipped, but gain bonuses for every mercenary in the party, and the Sidhe can give diseases to other players.

Mercenaries: The mercenaries are a bit like supercharged spells. For example, the Border guard let you draw and discard a card, gives +1 attack, and can be destroyed to prevent a hero from being killed in battle.

Treasure: Treasure provides a one time bonus of some sort in exchange for destroying the item. Treasure is acquired in the same manner traps are encountered.

Theme: Doomgate Legion is rich with theme. The cultists and evil druids are awesome, and make it seem like there's more than just random monsters in the dungoen. This time, they're organized, or along for the ride with a powerful organization of evil. Disease and magic are the main focal points of the expansion: the new monsters either need magic attack or are immune to it. Also, just about everything is diseased.

Gameplay: There are some absolutley awesome new things in the expansion, the Greed Blade being one of my favortie items. I would think players will find it frustrating when randomizer results don;t make sense, such as a Deep and no mercenraies, or no Wizards or Clerics as heroes when magic is required for combat. I like the odd challenge where the cards just don't go together easily. But if this frustrates you, then I suggest you "intelligently" randomize your game. I tend to do this when introducing a new player so as not to frustrate him.

Overall: This is a must have for any Thunderstone player. Personally, I feel the cultist theme is fitting, since I am now a devout follower of the Thunderstone, and I have indoctrinated many new players to the order. Mwahahahahaha! I am looking forward to the next game. Bring on the Dragonspire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some references to specific cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Were there new separators for all of the new cards to put in the Wrath of the Elements box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremy6801 wrote:
Nice review. Were there new separators for all of the new cards to put in the Wrath of the Elements box?

Yes - forgot to mention that... there are new card separators. The Doomgate box is the same size and with the same divider as Wrath of the Elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.