Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 4th edition rules on page 10, there is a question I have regarding the sentence which I italicized:

Quote:
A unit being dislodged by one province can still cut the support in another.Just as a unit being dislodged by one province can still cause a standoff in another, a unit still manages to cut support even if it is dislodged. Just make sure that the dislodgment is not coming from the province where the unit is giving support. (Remember this rule: A dislodged unit, even with support, has no effect on the province that dislodged it.)

Is the italicized sentence stating that a dislodged unit can not cut support that is going to the province that dislodged it? So when a dislodged unit has no effect on the province that dislodged it, does that include any support given to that province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Another dislodgment question
chaschen (#462746),

I'm not sure how to parse your questions at the end, but I'll try to address this bit of the Dip rules anyway. There are two main points to this part of the rules:

1) Normally, a unit cannot cut support for an attack on itself. Thus:

FRANCE:
A Ruh - Kie

GERMANY:
A Mun - Ruh
A Kie S A Mun - Ruh

Here, Kiel's support is not cut by the attempted counterattack from Ruh. But, if the supporting army is dislodged, its support is cut. So if we add:

ENGLAND:
A Hol S A Ruh - Kie

Now the army in Kiel (assuming it has no other support) is dislodged, and its support is cut. This could matter if, for example, France was following up with Bur-Ruh, which would now bounce with A Mun - Ruh.

2) If a unit is involved in a face-to-face attack, and is dislodged, it doesn't stand off anyone following up after the dislodger. For example:

AUSTRIA:
A Bud - Ser
A Tri S A Bud - Ser
A Alb S A Bud - Ser
A Vie - Bud

TURKEY:
A Ser - Bud
A Rum S A Ser - Bud

in this case, the Turkish army in Ser is dislodged, and since it was dislodged by an attack from Bud, its attack, even supported by Rum, fails to stand off A Vie - Bud. All of Austria's orders succeed.

I think you are trying to ask about something like this case:

RUSSIA:
A Mos - Lvn
A Ukr - War
A Gal S A Ukr - War

GERMANY:
A War - Mos
A Pru - War
A Lvn S A Pru - War

TURKEY:
A Sev S A War - Mos

The question is, is Livonia's support for Pru - War cut? The answer is, yes it is. Moscow is dislodged, but it affects Livonia, since it was being dislodged from Warsaw, not Livonia. This is true even though Livonia's order itself affects Warsaw, so A Mos has an indirect effect on War, but not a direct one. Thus, the result of this order set is that Moscow is dislodged, but Ukraine ends up in Warsaw, and Prussia holds.

Is that clear enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Another dislodgment question
threlicus (#462890),

Thank you very much, the last scenario is exactly what I was asking about. The problem I have is regarding what I italicized: Just make sure that the dislodgment is not coming from the province (Warsaw in your last scenario) where the unit is giving support (A Lvn S A Pru-War).Am I misinterpreting this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.