Kenzo Oiyama
msg tools
Hey,

I'm a big fan of civilization and I was waiting for it to start selling (here in Germany) for a long time.

Unfortunately the German version will be released around April/May 2011 and I don't really want to wait that long.
Personally I don't have any problems with English, but my friends I would be playing with might have.

Basically my question is, is it possible to play the game without too much knowledge of the language? (Assuming the group had someone (me) who explains everything)

The "language dependence: Extensive use of text - massive conversion needed to be playable" made me thinking.

Merry Christmas

Kenzo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played the game, but these images may help to give you an idea:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lot of text on techs and culture cards. To play effectively you should know what each of your tech does, and that's pretty hard if you don't know English and need ask your friend each time. Furthermore, culture cards are easier to remember, but they are meant to keep secret.
So it's not a big deal to remember nation abilities, but it would be tough for your friends to remember all their card effects.
My suggestions:
1. Wait for German version
2. If you don't want to wait, buy plenty of card protectors, print out inserts with translation
3. If you don't plan to get protectors for every card, make and print out huge tables with translation of every game element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can teach them how to play the game I think you would just need:

TECH cheat sheet
Culture Card cheat sheet
Civilization special abilities
Wonder abilities
Summary of the rules (turn sequence and starting abilities Stacking 2 Move 2 Culture Card hand size 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zorg peewee
United States
California
flag msg tools
I really think it will be difficult to play in a different language
wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenzo Oiyama
msg tools
Thank you for the replies.

I think I really have to consider your points before I purchase the English version.

Too bad :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I would suggest you wait if English does not come easily to the players. Besides, in my experience the German version of most US games also tends to be cheaper here (in Europe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This game requires MASSIVE conversation. EVERYTHING is controlled by complex text on a myriad of cards, that fundamentally alters the core game rules.

I would strongly recommend NOT buying it unless you're fluent in whatever language it's sold in.

For example, I didn't hesitate purchasing Power Grid when I visited Germany recently (that is, a copy of "Funkenschlag"), even though I can barely ask for directions in German...

...but I would never buy a game like Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game in German; it would simply be too much too easily misinterpreted text. The game is intricate already, adding the brain burn of a foreign language is too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.