Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
I have inherited the CCG collection from an acquaintance who's done a ditch and dash on "the whole card-flipping thing". I think it's like an Alcoholics Anonymous thing where you can't even have an empty bottle in your house lest you fall back into old behavior patterns.

Anyway, I already have a large collection of MtG cards from 1994 through 1997, and am sifting through his MtG cards to see what I can fill in or pick up that looks interesting (he has cards through 6E). But part of the deal was that (a) I take it ALL, as in no pre-sorting, and (b) I take it ALL, as in not just the MtG cards but all his CCG cards.

Well, my kids have claimed the two shoe boxes of Pokemon cards. (And to think I never knew he went thru a Pokemon phase.) But he also has a few boxes of cards to games I have zero familiarity with.

"Deadlands" - a shoe box (maybe more) of cards, some in sleeves as from a deck, seems to be Western themed

"Mythos" (Limited Edition) - Completely unopened and still shrink wrapped, there are 8 starter decks, a sealed box of 36 booster packs for "Legends of the Necronomicon", and a sealed box of 36 booster packs for "Expeditions of Miskatonic University".

If anyone has interest in these cards, either en masse or wanting me to look through the collection for specific ones, drop me a PM and what you'd offer for them (cash or interesting MtG cards). Or even just suggestions on how to view these cards' worth or what to do with them, I totally have no idea.

And if the answer is "there is no real secondary market for that ancient crapola at all, but I have a small cadre of fanatics who dabble therein anyway and would volunteer to take them off your hands for the cost of shipping", I'm open to that too. I just don't want them being a fire hazard in my attic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekmail sent. I'm happy to work with New Users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Warren!

Be aware that MTG cards, esp older stuff is fetching some pretty high prices these days. Don't let anyone talk you into trading it away until you know what exactly you've got on your hands...

These are the holy grail of all magic cards:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...

A mint Black Lotus I've seen fetch as much as 8-10 grand.

http://www.abugames.com/Magic_the_Gathering_Edition_Guide.ht...

This is a great guide to help you determine what core set some of your stuff comes from. Keep in mind that even commons from Alpha and Beta can fetch some decent money. The original dual lands have jumped in price thanks to the popularity of Legacy formats... they've jumped as much as 200% in value from even 5 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GM sent also
Per Sir Kerry's post, yeah, Doomtown is the best of the non-Magic stuff you got and I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
robardin wrote:

And if the answer is "there is no real secondary market for that ancient crapola at all, but I have a small cadre of fanatics who dabble therein anyway and would volunteer to take them off your hands for the cost of shipping", I'm open to that too. I just don't want them being a fire hazard in my attic.

Doomtown is still quite popular with lots of folks on BGG so you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of them. The Mythos stuff less so, but I believe there is still some small interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies so far!

I have been out of the MtG scene for about 14 years - I started in the summer of 1994 and the last set I bought into was Mirage in late 1996, I didn't really play with it much, really Alliances was the end for me). However in that time I accumulated over 14,000 cards... Ack.

I've found someone to take about 2/3rds of that in bulk, I'm keeping the rest in the form of about 20 assembled decks of the era and a sampling of all the sets I have in binders for deck creation purposes. Still I don't need more than, say, 12 "Swords to Plowshares" in my non-deck library, or for that matter Scryb Sprites of any border, so adios.

After I finish cataloging what my friend has added to my stock in terms of MtG I may come back and try to find trade partners for extra cards to either fill in gaps in my "archives" from my sets (3E thru Mirage) or to get interesting cards from later sets that I missed out on (I'm sure there are plenty). I've always been a dragonish hoarder of sorts so if I'm at all close to making, say, a complete set of Visions from what my friend bequeathed me, I'd be more than willing to trade the more valuable "extra" OOPs I have for a pile of lower value cards to finish the set. After all I don't need 10 Sol Rings, 8 Demonic Tutors or 6 Maze of Ith and whatnot, I can keep just one hard-sleeved reference copy and proxy a 3E Plains with a Sharpie marker for deck playing purposes. I certainly don't need 13 "Force of Will" from Alliances either (a playset of 4 will more than do), which apparently is a very hot card now, which makes me laugh to think of chasing the Balduvian Hordes as the top card from that set back in the day.

The Mythos and Doomtown cards are another matter, I have no intention of getting into those games at this point and anyone who wants them can put in an offer. I got quite a few of those, in fact, via GMs, but it seems I'm limited in replying to more than 4 or 5 of them within an unspecified set period of time, so I'll have to try again tomorrow. I've enabled a direct e-mail to me for private messages now so at least I'll be able to respond directly and not through the forum.

I estimate the Doomtown cards at 1,000 in count, based on measuring the stack at around 12.5 inches and counting out 100 cards to 1.25". I can try to sift through them for specific cards but as I am not familiar with them, it is not quick or fun for me. I can see they're all marked with suit/rank symbols as from a deck of playing cards, but each card has multiple names - e.g., the HJ has both "The Temperance Army" and "Prof. Parnham's Miracle Elixir", and others have way more. I took 15 minutes to sort them into suits and there are strong runs of cards in the right rank order, but unless there are like 4 or 5 really standout cards I should be looking for, I'd rather just move the set as is (a few people have messaged me with that suggestion and I'm inclined to go that route).

I even got a message or two on the Mythos cards, I will try to reply to them tomorrow as well. Those are all sealed boxes so I can't search through them anyway.

I've opened a few other of his boxes and it's hilarious, he often uses MTG starter deck boxes to store non-MTG cards. I've found another game called "Seven Seas" and yet another one that looks very "adult oriented", with a name like a stylized "xXx" on the back. Hahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
Oh, and I suspect I may find yet more Doomtown cards somewhere here, as I noticed a distinct paucity of diamonds versus clubs/spades/hearts in this 100% full box and perhaps they're simply stored in another one I haven't opened yet. If that's the most popular non-MTG CCG hereabouts I'll do a full scan and report back on the true count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sent a gm about the xXxenophile cards you referred to a couple of posts up. I got out of M:TG a few years back so I'm afraid I've no cards to offer, but I'm willing to buy them. I've no clue of their worth, especially without knowing how many their are, but if you can give me a rough estimate, I'll make an offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
Long story short: I can't spend much time on this as it's Xmas Day, but I did find a bunch more Deadlands cards, and counted the Xxxenophile cards (74 with only 2 or 3 dups).

Will respond to mags tomorrow or Monday. Happy Holidays to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah sell off those Force Of Wills... Legacy players will pay top dollar for those in mint condition. Swords are $4 a pop usually... but not as saught after... Also look for Sol Rings! EDH is turning into a WOTC supported format and those puppies are staples, along with Maze Of Ith.

Again, if you have dual lands... you could easily fund your next year's BG habit on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
stagger lee wrote:
Yeah sell off those Force Of Wills... Legacy players will pay top dollar for those in mint condition. Swords are $4 a pop usually... but not as saught after... Also look for Sol Rings! EDH is turning into a WOTC supported format and those puppies are staples, along with Maze Of Ith.

Again, if you have dual lands... you could easily fund your next year's BG habit on them.

EDH? What's that?

I just looked it up and Google pointed me to http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/EDH where the description sounds interesting. One thing in particular caught my eye about it, it says "Shahrazade is legal for play in EDH though it's banned in Vintage". Ha, I have two Shahrazade, though they were unfortunately water damaged at some point and dried out, I think they're still playable especially in black backed sleeves. Heh heh heh.

Now if only I could get a Chaos Orb or two for a "non tourney legal, annoy the home play opponent" deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

Yep, here is the "official" home. It was a fan create format that caught on big time, but has made some older cards like Sol Ring, Maze Of Ith, and Karakas jump in price (before it was banned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
OK guys, thanks for your interest, patience and guidance. I've been distracted the past few days due to family holiday gatherings, followed by a tremendous blizzard and a day spent digging out here in NYC. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow...

Here's what I found, a general idea of what I think they're worth (WAGs for the most part) and a short list of MTG wants with an idea of what I would think are the offsetting dollar values for them. You can offer less if you think I'm asking too much, or more if you think I'm insanely lowballing myself - I'll let the so-called efficient market be my protection here. I can also add some MTG extras from 3E through Mirage to make up the balance if you are interested.

I would prefer to do as few deals as possible, i.e., would rather do one big deal with one person versus lots of small deals. So I'd rather someone take all the cards from one game listed here, if not multiple games at once, as opposed to cherry picking specific cards (not that I have a list of such cards except for Xxxenophile).

I am located in NYC (in Queens) and would have a preference for an in-person deal, including meeting somewhere midway. Otherwise I can ship the cards via a USPS Flat Rate box at your cost - most likely a "Medium" sized box that costs (you) $11 (personal check or PayPal I guess).

While I certainly haven't gone through and inspected every single card, most of the cards from all of these games appear to me to be in VF/NM condition.

DEADLANDS
I went through all the boxes and found more Deadlands cards including the missing slew of "diamonds". They total about 32 inches of stackage, including one in a deck case with sleeves and 5 in starter deck boxes that appear to be unsorted - i.e., they still have 60 cards plus a rule book in them, though they've been opened. (Actually it's about 34 inches stacked but I'm discounting the sleeves and deck boxes due to the rule books adding thickness.) According to my rule of thumb of 100 cards per 1.25 inches, that would make just over 2,500 cards, so let's call it that.

Valuation: I'm getting a bulk rate of a penny a card for my MTG commons and uncommons that I've sorted through. While Deadlands may be the second most popular CCG around after MTG these days, I'm guessing it's a far second and worth less as a result, but that should be offset by the unfiltered nature of the fairly sizeable collection. So I'm going to call that a wash and ask for a penny a card, or $25 for the lot of 2,500.

SEVEN SEAS
I measured the number of cards at about 13 inches in thickness, which going by the same rule of thumb comes to just over 1,000 cards, so let's call it that.

Valuation: As with Deadlands I have no idea what demand is for these cards are, so I'll go with a penny a card as the bulk rate also, which makes it a whopping $10.

MYTHOS
I have 8 starter decks and two boxes of boosters (36 per box), one for "Legends of the Necronomicon" and the other for "Expeditions of Miskatonic University". These are all sealed boxes of Limited Edition cards.

Valuation: I found an online site selling a sealed Necronomicon booster box for $49, an eBay auction for the Miskatonic box for $90 (!), and another one asking $10 for a Mythos starter deck. Those eBay prices seem way high to me - I'll ask for $30 per box of boosters and $2.50 per starter deck.

XXXENOPHILE
I counted them and there are only 74, with 4 duplicates so there are 70 unique cards. I can list them below because I cross checked them with a set list in Excel while I was counting them.

Valuation: The only source I could find online was a place in the UK selling them at 0.50 pounds each. That would be 75 US cents per card (it seems all the cards in the set were equally common). I'll go lower than that say $35 for the lot.

The card list (all singles except where noted):

Alien Abduction Squad
Bactram, Mad Political Scientist
Bernadette Sysoptrix
Bites-On-The-Neck
Blow-Up Luv Panda
Blue Opal
Catherine the Great
Chinese Ghost
Chronoteen, Empress of Time
Cornelia Cannon (=> x2)
Count Pointercount (=> x2)
Cult of the Jade Nipple
Cyrano de Bergerac
Earl of Sandwich
Empress Wu
Ewan McKay
Ex-Boyfriend
Garden of Earthly Delights
Geodetic Dame
Green Light District
Headmistress Holly
Heemu Fee
Helen of Troy
His Girl Tuesday
Island of Mu
Killer B-Girl
Kwai'utl
Lilith
Lio of Ion Clan
Lost Temple of Hootcheeku
Magic Whirlpool
Master of Tantric Sax
Men in Black Leather
Mistress Acapella House
Mistress of the Close Encounter
Moon Palace
My Favorite Venusian
Mysterious Dr. Pushtak
Naked City
Net Surfer
Nicely Curved Space
Nine Inch Neil
Nude Ranch (=> x2)
Officer Friendly
Pleasure Centrifuge
Plot Device
Prizewinning Cucumber
Python O'Malley
Roman Bvbble Bath
Santa Claus
Sex Drive
Shinda Finn, International Spy
Silicon Valley Girl
Sinbad (=> x2)
Sneaky Pete
Technomage
Thaddeus, the Toy Builder
The Cartoonist
The Eunuch
The Hatchback of Notre Dame
The Little Engine That Could
The Villainous Vibrator
Tia of Klim Point
Time Warp
Universal Joint
Vinnie V. da Vinci
Wet Blanket
Xynotreen
Xytina, the Lotus Eater
Zola Ching

WHAT DO I WANT FOR THEM?
I was into MTG from around Revised through Mirage and am mostly interested in back filling gaps in my collection from then (due to losing cards in a flood). I'm also interested in silly, non tournament legal cards from Legends like Chaos Orb and Falling Star - finding a few Shahrazades in my collection reminded me that I left that deck unfinished

For market value of these cards (to offset in a trade) I'm going to go by (rounded) Median price from tcgplayer.com. I'm interested in up to 2-4 of any given card.

Legends - Chaos Orb - $75.00
Legends - Falling Star - $5.00
Mirage - Lion's Eye Diamond - $38.75
Mirage - Spirit of the Night - $4.50
Chronicles - Aladdin - $0.45

Also, 2-4x of just about ANY card from The Dark. Even though the set as a whole was considered pretty weak (aside from Ball Lightning and Maze of Ith), I lost nearly all my Dark cards (those not in a deck or missorted) in a basement flood a few years back and it bugs me, especially those not covered by white bordered reprints in my cards from Chronicles.

The Dark cards I DON'T need more of are as follows - anything else, throw 2-4 of them at me at the TCGPlayer.com Median value and I'll probably take it.

Banshee
Blood of the Martyr
Bog Rats
Fountain of Youth
Goblin Shrine
Goblins of the Flarg
Maze of Ith
Runesword

Oh, and one more thing: I've got a complete set of Unglued and would love to get a set of its sequel that I missed out on, Unhinged. My reference for that would be to note that a complete set of Unhinged last sold about 2 weeks ago on eBay for $40, with earlier sales going for $45 and $48.

WHAT OTHER MTG CARDS DO I HAVE?
I have much MTG to offer back in trades as well, in particular a whole bunch of NM "Force of Will" from Alliances (at least 4) which are now worth around $48 each it appears, as well as Sol Rings galore (mostly in somewhat played condition worth about $10 each), several Wheel of Fortune and Demonic Tutor in like condition (also worth about $9 or $10 each), and an Enlightened Tutor or two from Mirage in VF/NM condition (also around $10).

That's it, thanks for reading all if this if you have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yer lowballin' the Doomtown stuff. If you really sell for that, then I claim "Dibs". But your best bet would be a one week auction. GM if you need help to set it up. And yes, I remain very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
davido wrote:
yer lowballin' the Doomtown stuff. If you really sell for that, then I claim "Dibs". But your best bet would be a one week auction. GM if you need help to set it up. And yes, I remain very interested.

Thanks for the heads up, and for your significantly higher offer in GM. No auction for me though - I'll take that offer if nobody comes in better by EOD tomorrow - and that goes for the other games as well. I'd like to get this all taken care of by Thursday as I am off from work this week and won't have time to deal with it on or after New Year's Eve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Chang

New York
msg tools
I have deals in place or working towards completion for the Doomtown, Mythos and Xxxenophile cards. I still have the Seven Seas cards if there is any interest in them, including (as I said) just an offer of $11 for the cost of flat rate USPS shipping, if not $10+ in cash or older MTG card trade value!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dunlap
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For pricing M:tG cards, I've found this site to be the most sensible and reliable:
http://findmagiccards.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cards for "Deadlands", "Mythos" - who would be interested? (Sale, trade for MtG, even "I'll pay for shipping")
Any updates? (I was actually interested in the Doomtown stuff.)

But if you can post what you've got left in availability...
... and what you still want in M:tG trades ...

... I'll go ransack my garage and see if I can find what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cards for "Deadlands", "Mythos" - who would be interested? (Sale, trade for MtG, even "I'll pay for shipping")
I traded some cards with him for the XXXenophile cards. They came super fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.