16 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: beginner player here: military purchase question.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
palin 2112

Arizona
msg tools
Can I use the +1 in the, 'Former Penal Colony' twords the laying down of the, 'Rebel Homeworld' ? I ask because the RHW circle background is grey in color while the FPC is white. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as long as the circle itself is Red, you may use the card.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
palin 2112

Arizona
msg tools
David, thank you. I would not be alowwed to use the +1 for the, 'Rebel Miners' card though right? In that situation I would need a specific +1 that's tan in color. Or have I been misinformed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortbethel wrote:
I would not be alowwed to use the +1 for the, 'Rebel Miners' card though right? In that situation I would need a specific +1 that's tan in color. Or have I been misinformed?

The +1 on Former Penal Colony actually does help settle Rebel Miners. +Military in a white background (like on Former Penal Colony) is generic military that applies to every military world. Other colored +military is just an extra bonus towards those specific world colors.

I can gladly put together a couple examples if this isn't clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
palin 2112

Arizona
msg tools
Serge, thank u so much. No, what you stated was clear. I played last night & this was my situation. I wanted to place Rebel Miners with FPC & Alpha Centauri in my Tab. The seasoned player next to me said I could not do so because the white background +1 on the FPC could not be used for the tan world background of RM. He said that the +1 on AC could be applied but only because it's tan +1 worked with tan RM. Thanks for your time. Sorry about the wordiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortbethel wrote:
Serge, thank u so much. No, what you stated was clear. I played last night & this was my situation. I wanted to place Rebel Miners with FPC & Alpha Centauri in my Tab. The seasoned player next to me said I could not do so because the white background +1 on the FPC could not be used for the tan world background of RM. He said that the +1 on AC could be applied but only because it's tan +1 worked with tan RM. Thanks for your time. Sorry about the wordiness.

First off, if you think that's wordy, you haven't read most of my posts.

When in doubt, don't be afraid to pull out the rules. It's entirely possible for someone to have played more than 100 games and still get a few details wrong.

Also, double check if you were supposed to draw a settle bonus card after every world you settle, and try to keep the power on Alpha Centauri exposed at all times. Those are two very common places for people to forget about a favorable bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortbethel wrote:
I wanted to place Rebel Miners with FPC & Alpha Centauri in my Tab. The seasoned player next to me said I could not do so because the white background +1 on the FPC could not be used for the tan world background of RM. He said that the +1 on AC could be applied but only because it's tan +1 worked with tan RM.

Tho seasoned, unfortunately he was wrong in this case. Your play would have been perfectly legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
palin 2112

Arizona
msg tools
Serg, so what do the tan backgrounds for the -1+1 circles on the Alpha Centauri card stand for? Why are they not just white?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Bath
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Not as clever as xkcd
badge
Not as clever as xkcd
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpha Centauri's bonuses can only be applied to brown world settles. So, for example, if you have New Sparta and Alpha Centauri out, you can settle any 1 or 2 value military world, and any brown worlds of military 3 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note there is one more card with special military. Galactic Imperium gives you specialized military only for REBEL worlds, that's what the pink-filled circle means. So for example, the below would be a legal order of play:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way:

If a red circle power is white inside, then it can be applied to any military world.

If a red circle power has a color inside, then it may only be applied to that color world.

Unless otherwise specified on the card, of course.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The tan circled powers apply to Rare worlds, not all worlds. Compare the following three Settle powers listed on page 9 of the rules: Specific Reduce Cost/Military (brown background circles) vs Military (white background) and Reduce Cost (white background).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
palin 2112

Arizona
msg tools
Everyone, once again thank you so much for your quick & solid feedback. It's much apreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Neumann
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the cards with the grey backgrounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Gray worlds have useful powers but can never have goods. The gray/windfall/production world distinction is separate from the military/non-military world distinction. Some gray worlds are military; some are not. For example, look at the Card Summary sheet. The second and third worlds depicted are both gray worlds; one is non-military and one is military.

Military powers help you conquer military worlds. Specific Military powers help you conquer certain worlds, such as Rebel or Rare Elements (brown) or Alien technology (yellow) worlds. There is no Specific Military power that helps a player conquer just gray worlds (or one that helps against windfall but not production worlds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Gray worlds have useful powers but can never have goods.

Tom is being just a teeny bit imprecise here -- gray worlds may have useful powers. For example, Rebel Homeworld is a gray military world with defense 7 and gives 7 VPs, but it has no powers at all. Its main strategic purpose, of course, is to give you 7 points. It also has the attribute "Rebel", which may affect other cards (for example, Galactic Imperium is worth 2 more points when you have Rebel Homeworld).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.