Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just purchased this game and, after the first play were very impressed.

During just the second session the MERCANNARIUS came up and the text on the card is not quite specific enough.
"You attack the opposite card. For each 3 Sestertii you pay you may increase your battle die roll by 1."
That makes sense but the question arose, "can you pay to increase the value AFTER you have rolled?"
Obviously, you must be able to afford the increase, so I can easily argue both sides of the question.

Is there an OFFICIAL ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParkinT wrote:
We just purchased this game and, after the first play were very impressed.

During just the second session the MERCANNARIUS came up and the text on the card is not quite specific enough.
"You attack the opposite card. For each 3 Sestertii you pay you may increase your battle die roll by 1."
That makes sense but the question arose, "can you pay to increase the value AFTER you have rolled?"
Obviously, you must be able to afford the increase, so I can easily argue both sides of the question.

Is there an OFFICIAL ruling on this?

If it wasn't after the roll how would you know how much you needed to spend for your attack to succeed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I agree it could be clearer, but if you read the instructions on the card in order, you see that first you attack (calculate modifiers, roll the die), then you may increase the roll after you see it. That's how I play it.

In the English rules for Roma, Centurion card explicitly states "This is decided after the battle die has been thrown". Then again, Roma used symbols instead of text...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.