Hide
6 Posts

Subbuteo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Possession question from beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dim33 dim33
msg tools
I just got this game today for Christmas and my son and I read the manual and got ready for kick-off.

We are complete beginners, so my son flicked the ball straight off the pitch past my goal line.

So I take my goal kick, not kicking far from the penalty area. I then try to flick the next player to start to move the ball up the pitch but I miss.

So according to the rules my son now has possession, but all his players are up his end of the pitch and he has no hope of flicking one anywhere near the ball since we're new to the game.

It seems unfair that I have lost possession but he has no chance of actually gaining possession. Have I missed something in the rules? I've read around quite a bit but I just don't get it.

Could someone help clear up how the rules apply here please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Subbuteo in a looong time but I guess that your son will miss the ball with his flick, giving you possession again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bergmagn wrote:
I haven't played Subbuteo in a looong time but I guess that your son will miss the ball with his flick, giving you possession again.

That's true, but keep in mind that as you gain experience you will be able to flick your players so they follow a curved path and touch the ball even if it is hidden behind opposing players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dim33 dim33
msg tools
Thanks for your answers.

Will play again. I just wasn't sure that I'd understood and did not want to carry on regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is very much about positioning. when you lost possession, your sons best bet would be to try and get one of his players in the way between your closest player to the ball and the player your most likely to pass to.

A lot of the time when ive played we learned quickly that going after the ball on every shot isnt the way forward. using opportunities when your opponent loses possession and you have no chance of getting it to bring a man back for better defense or to push a man forward so the only place your opponent can hit it to is your feet.

also, remember you can only score a goal from past the shooting line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ewer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi, interesting questions.

As has been said already, you don't always have to make a valid attempt to play the ball, there's no penalty for a miss except to lose possession. So if the ball is too far away for you, or you don't want to commit a player to chasing it, you can use your "miss" as a tactical, positional flick.

From reading your post a couple of times I think we have all missed something here. At a goal kick, at least according to FISTF rules, you can reposition all your players exactly how you want. Most will keep their attacking players outside of the shooting area to make sure there are no offsides later, but otherwise you can go where you want. So, as long as your goal kick made it out of the penalty area (which it should or you just re-take it) it should be within reach of one or two attacking players.

You may have watched tournament play where 8-1-1 formations are rife, but when you are learning the game try to play more traditional formations like a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and spread it out evenly across the pitch. Make your passes short and try to develop passing moves. Another beginner mistake to watch out for: Don't fall into the trap of standing behind the goal and always flicking upfield towards the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.