D-Day (3rd edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Christmas session between wargaming generations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panther 52
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My last play was approx. 1967. College-age son, who usually wins games v. me, took Allies. He tried North Sea for first invasion - got ashore on the islands and just held three of them, all adjacent. He didn't realize how limited supply is in North Sea until he tried working with it, but move still worked out well as a continuing beachhead. He didn't waste strength attacking across rivers, and I dared not, either; so, the game 'sat still' until his second invasion, turn 9. I spent approx. half German strength lining North Sea area for rest of game, just to prevent breakout and further North Sea invasions, as Allied success at either would be quick game-ender, at any time. Also meant that, when I knocked initial try at second invasion into the sea, he still had troops in Europe, so eliminating second invasion beachhead didn't instantly win game!

However, second invasion at Le Havre region failed. Pas de Calais or Normandy might have worked, and I didn't bother to defend Brittany (so, he could have gotten safely ashore there and then tried 'plodding north, with 40 patient turns to use'), but with my well-garrisoned fortress at Le Havre, he could never sustain troops on the two Le Havre clear invasion hexes.

He thinks he'll win next time, now that he knows how game works. Anyway, we learned not to rule out first invasion at North Sea, because the 'hold the islands and wait for second invasion' strategy seems to hold promise, if second invasion at another location is handled properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

We'll be looking forward to future battle reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first ever wargame, back in 1974. Good to see people still playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Interesting replay. What edition of the rules were you using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panther 52
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
1977, which I like. Your thoughts?

He comes home one more time, for a couple of days, before it's 'back to college'. I'm hoping for that rematch. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panther52 wrote:
1977, which I like. Your thoughts?

One of the first wargames I played was D-Day ("61A" rules, as it turns out). A few years later I bought the "improved" 1965 rules, being unaware that there was a "61B" version of rules until recently. I drifted away from AH to SPI and never heard of DD77 until a couple years ago when I located this site and CSW.

I've lately looked into the various rule versions (via the CD from "AHGeneral.org"). My impression is that the 77 rules are fairly clean and workable even if some aspects are a little contrived (the Allied replacements tied to capture of specific "strategic targets") -- though not as much as DD65 with its strategic bombing and rigid supply line limit.

The earlier rule versions were rife with ambiguities, gaps, and errors, and the Avalon Hill General Q&A only made it worse. These needed to be filled in and "fixed", and the wrong fixes could lead to a broken game. Still, I liked the original 61A game or the 65 game - that is after some fairly simple agreed-upon rule fixes among my high school gaming buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As Lee has posted, I prefer the '77 rules for their clarity and lack of dependance upon Q&A's. I do not necessarily like some of the 'details' however, such as strategic movement or tactical air power. Perhaps that is why I created a '77 based 'variant' which does away with this 'chrome'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph A
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I think that in the original game, those northern beaches are too difficult for the Allied player, as you rarely (if ever) would get better than 1-1 odds, and 1-1 battles fail quite easily. It's possible that the Strategic Air rules have changed this.

The German player rarely has enough strength to defend Brittany, if he's defended the other beaches correctly. But this can turn into a bottleneck with the Allied player typically crossing the Loire and spilling over into Bay of Biscay.

That allows for a good build-up of armies, but also gives the German player enough time to adjust his defenses...

I've had most success invading Brittany and/or Bay of Biscay (Normandy is "iffy" for the Allied player - too easily defended and another bottleneck situation).

Tried South of France a few times but you eventually need a second source of supply and if you're not careful, supply from Marseilles can be cut off as you've got a very narrow path between those mountains. You've also likely got those SS Divisions to contend with as you approach the Rhine near the German-Swiss border.

Fun game though. I still like playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.