United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not very often the family all get together like they do at christmas, and instead of being stuck in front of the tv or the xbox or whatever, my brother brought down his new game which was very kindly given to him by his girlfriend, in the shape of formula D

He had previously told me about this, and i have been pretty excited myself to play this, so after dinner, we cleared the table in within a few seconds were looking at a pretty realistic whistle setup of the monaco grand prix.

There was 6 of us playing, for the first time ever, so basic rules were used.

I myself managed to qualify last (we just rolled highest starts first) in the lovely white and orangy red of the early 90's mclarens.

My girlfriend Tracy was in 5th with a lovely purple and yellow car reminiscent of no real F1 cars, but she wasnt bothered. she probably doesnt know who michael schumacher is despite being german herself.

Qualifying 4th was my mam Hazel, who doesnt usually play these kind of games, she just sticks to things like catan. She had the green and orange force india looking car.

In 3rd and 2nd was my brother, Stewart, who owned the game and was the only one to read the rules, and my uncle Paul who has never played a boardgame in years. They were both in blue and white cars, which thankfully caused no confusions once it was pointed out that the wings were different colours. boy these cars are small!

Qualifying first was my stepdad Brian, who had a red and yellow car. He usually plays the more complicated games with us like descent which others of the family dont really get into.

Brian got off to a good start, and paul and stewart did afterwards. My mam rolled pretty low, and myself and tracy got good rolls through the first corner and were catching up. Paul being the only non driver in real life got a bit confused by the gears and dropped back into last after the first corner, whilst myself and brian had shot into the lead through the 3 stop s-bend with breath taking maneuvers that had left both of our cars in a pretty bad state, but i was a gear up from him. I flew down the straight and managed to get some really nice rolls. Unfortunately Stewart and Tracy had caught us up, with us both rolling unfortunately for the corner before the chicane. This meant that the chicane was all blocked up, and Stewart managed to get through into the lead! he blew through the 2 remaining corners and shot past the finish line. I was trailing slightly in 2nd, with Tracy finishing just after me and brian finishing the turn after. My mam was another 2 turns behind, with paul managing to catch up a little from his bad start finishing last but not so far behind as to just give up.

Then we flipped over the board, got out the road cars, and the girls went to do something else. we lined up in order of me, brian, stewart then paul. I kept the lead all the way around the track, but seriously damaging my car after flying through the first corner and driving over a lot of obstacles, but my risk looked to be paying off. Brian managed to catch me after the speed trap, having driven through the shooting zone completely and not having to roll for stopping in it. Fortunately for me he crashed and burned on the really tight corner a bit later. Once again paul was way back, but some very good decisions and lucky rolling meant stewart had caught me up for the last corner, and was a gear higher than me. I was in 4th, and with 4 damage remaining i took the risk, pushed it to 5th. I thought i could do it, as it would have been a win for me if i succeeded, but alas, i rolled 5 spaces over the braking zone, rolling an unusually high number and blowing myself up. stewart got past and flew to the finish.

two games down, took all of an hour and it was brilliant fun! it probably not the most tactically complex or strategic game, but for something you can set up and play in minutes, and being no problem having 6 players. I imagine 10 players would still be fine.

We had a quick look at the advanced rules, and will give them a go soon, although we arent excited about the prospect of all the different street driver rules I think we will keep all the drivers the same until we get the hang of the advanced rules themselves.

Overall probably the best quick game ive played all year, and very likely one of the highlights of this years christmas day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.