Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
When using some dragon generals but not all, how should the Darkness Spreads deck be built with respect to the Orc Patrols and Orc War Party cards, and their replacements from the Dragon expansion?

For example, Scenario 2 calls for the following generals: Gorgutt, Balazarg, Sapphire, and Onyx. Since orcs are in the game, the Orc Patrols and Orc War Party cards should be used. However, two of those cards depict Varkolak, not Onyx. Should I replace those two cards (1 Orc Patrols and 1 Orc War Party) with the Dark Magic and Assault on Monarch City cards that depict Onyx? While this somewhat reduces the impact of the orcs, it maintains the balance of general movement abilities.

In a more difficult example, Scenario 4 calls for Hemlock, Balazarg, Varkolak and Sapphire. According to pg. 4, if orcs are not in the game, the Orc War Party and Orc Patrols cards should be replaced with the new "special" Darkness Spreads cards. However, some of these "special" cards depict Brimstone and Onyx, which are not in use in this scenario. Of particular issue is the Dark Lord Assassins card that depicts Brimstone flying to Dragon's Teeth Range and setting it on fire. Since Brimstone isn't in Scenario 4, if this card is used and drawn, should one ignore the general movement section of the card? Brimstone isn't available, and Balazarg can't fly to Dragon's Teeth Range (obviously).

Anyway, I'd like to know if there is a "rule of thumb" for how to mix the Orc cards with their replacement "special" cards from the expansion, based on the mix of generals being used. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was impossible to mix Generals and keep all cards that apply to General's movement in regard to the Orc Patrols and War party. These cards are only used in games with the Orc General, and when Venom is in the game are replaced with the other Dark Lord Assassins and Dark Magic. This may show a General not in the game. When that occurs, the card will not not move a General (the color will not apply to the color of the General in the game - only the picture) so if Brimstone's picture appears and he is not in the game - no General is activated to move. This is one of the few breaks the players get.

The mixing of cards can create interesting game situations and new strategies as it may increase 1 General's offensive and slightly reduce another's march toward Monarch City. Some player's may not like this effect, but from my perspective I find it to be a slightly new twist to the game. In fact, one of the things I would like to produce for small (very sheap - or even bonus packs) are several new Darkness Spreads cards that can be added to any game - but those are in development.

I hope I have answered the question and not confused the issue more.

Thanks for playing. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.