Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I got Runebound yesterday for Christmas and was pretty excited to crack it open last night after the family was in bed

This is my first game like this, so I am having a bit of trouble understanding some of the rules, mainly how combat works.

One of my first challenges was a zombies card. They have no ability to attack with range, whereas I do.

Could someone help me understand how the process of combat works? Here's what I did:

From the rules it appears as though my character has to pick from either a meelee, ranged, or magic attack. I can't do more than one. If I have an ally, they can also do one of the attacks. Let's assume I don't have an ally.

I choose a ranged attack and succeed. I take off two wounds as my character card states, reducing the zombies from 4 to 2. What happens next?

Do I defend against both a meelee attack and then a magic attack (if zombies can/could do both?)

Or does the next round begin again and I choose which of the three attacks once again?

Thanks for the help!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I got Runebound yesterday for Christmas and was pretty excited to crack it open last night after the family was in bed

This is my first game like this, so I am having a bit of trouble understanding some of the rules, mainly how combat works.

One of my first challenges was a zombies card. They have no ability to attack with range, whereas I do.

Could someone help me understand how the process of combat works? Here's what I did:

From the rules it appears as though my character has to pick from either a meelee, ranged, or magic attack. I can't do more than one. If I have an ally, they can also do one of the attacks. Let's assume I don't have an ally.

I choose a ranged attack and succeed. I take off two wounds as my character card states, reducing the zombies from 4 to 2. What happens next?

Do I defend against both a meelee attack and then a magic attack (if zombies can/could do both?)

Or does the next round begin again and I choose which of the three attacks once again?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

I think the big thing you are missing, which will help all this make sense is this:

Every aspect (ranged, melee, magic) of combat happens every round. If you or an ally are not attacking in a phase, then you "defend" for that phase. You still roll the dice and you take damage if you fail the roll.

In your example with the zombies, you chose to attack in melee. You would then defend in the ranged and magic phases. Roll first for ranged, adding all ranged modifiers. If you fail, you would take the damage listed on the encounter card, but could not do damage unless that is the phase you had declared you were attacking (which in this case you had not, so the zombie takes no damage and didn't hurt you and you move on). Then you roll the melee phase and if you hit, you do damage to the zombie. If he isn't defeated, then you would move on to the magic phase and defend there (you can't do damage, you can only take damage if your roll is too low).

Does this help? Roll every phase, but you can only damage the encounter on phases you (or an ally) chose to attack. But you can be damaged on any phase you fail the roll (including the one you chose to attack in).

Edited: Changed "missile phase" to "magic phase."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you would defend against both a magic and melee attack...pretty nasty, isn't it Now, if you're lucky, the monster will only be able to hurt you with one of the two, not both.

One of the first things you'll want to get at the shop is a minion of some sort who can deal with one of the areas that you can only defend in. So if you're a magic based character, pick up a melee and or ranged guy to help. You can get your butt kicked pretty hard early on, so try to get all the help you can.

When we play this game, we use a much more gentle knockout rule...basically you just go back to the nearest town and lose a turn...but not any of your items. Otherwise, one or two bad encounters will put you so far back in race that it's just not fun.

Oh, be sure to poke around the files section and get the solo rules that use the Threat track...makes for a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot John and Ed

That all makes sense now. I reread the rules today and think I get it now. I'm not use to a setup like that and it was confusing. I love the aspect of being able to assemble a team to compensate for my main character's weaknesses.

Great game!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.