Forbidden Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can pawns move through flooded tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H. S.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Sorry this is such a basic question, but it's prompted by the the fact that the diver's special ability (moving through flooded and sunk tiles) seems to suggest that regular pawns cannot do the same. Can anyone confirm?

Just received this game for Christmas and enjoying it very much so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HJSewell wrote:
Sorry this is such a basic question, but it's prompted by the the fact that the diver's special ability (moving through flooded and sunk tiles) seems to suggest that regular pawns cannot do the same. Can anyone confirm?

Just received this game for Christmas and enjoying it very much so far.

Welcome to BGG!

As far as I know all pawns can move through flooded tiles. I think the emphasis is on the word "and" for the divers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the diver's ability, from the card:

The diver can move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for one action.

(Emphasis mine) Normal players may only move one tile for each action (and they may only move through flooded, but not missing, tiles). The diver can move through a whole bunch of flooded and/or missing tiles all at once, costing only a single action. So, the diver actually moves better when tiles flood or sink, because then he can zip across the board for only one action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Perfect. Thanks so much for the explanation. Happy Holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Hundley
United States
Frankfort
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just picked up Forbidden Island and the Diver's ability was confusing us as well. Thanks for the explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Piddy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Just to further clarify the diver rule, because it says "through" flooded or sunken tiles we interpreted that to mean that you can wind up on a non-flooded tile at the end of this special move. So if you're next to a flooded tile and there is a non-flooded tile directly across it from you, you can move "through" the flooded tile and onto the far non-flooded tile with one action. I'm pretty sure we're interpreting that correctly.

The piece I'm a little less certain of is whether you can make turns during this special move. So for instance if there are flooded tiles in an L, can you move through all of them in one action? Alternatively, if you're on one side of the island and there is a row of four flooded tiles in front of you, can you swim through just three of them and then turn and climb up onto an adjacent non-flooded tile all in one action? This interpretation also allows you to effectively make diagonal moves off of any flooded tile next to you. This seems powerful, but I think it's in line with the other powers especially since you're relying on there being flooded tiles around to use for these moves. Is this how others are playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
ToddCP wrote:
Just to further clarify the diver rule, because it says "through" flooded or sunken tiles we interpreted that to mean that you can wind up on a non-flooded tile at the end of this special move. So if you're next to a flooded tile and there is a non-flooded tile directly across it from you, you can move "through" the flooded tile and onto the far non-flooded tile with one action. I'm pretty sure we're interpreting that correctly.

The piece I'm a little less certain of is whether you can make turns during this special move. So for instance if there are flooded tiles in an L, can you move through all of them in one action? Alternatively, if you're on one side of the island and there is a row of four flooded tiles in front of you, can you swim through just three of them and then turn and climb up onto an adjacent non-flooded tile all in one action? This interpretation also allows you to effectively make diagonal moves off of any flooded tile next to you. This seems powerful, but I think it's in line with the other powers especially since you're relying on there being flooded tiles around to use for these moves. Is this how others are playing?

The Diver can step off a tile, move through any number of missing tiles and flooded tiles (in any combination, in any order) then land back onto a tile (dry or flooded) for one action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.