Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the new year I'm running more game nights with scenario / game system based games. Arkham Horror is the biggie for me as a Lovecraft fan. Though I've read a lot on play, watched videos on the game and even a fan of Arkham-Light dubbed Witch of Salem I wanted opinions from owners and hardcore fans of the game.

1) What is the best way to store the game with expansions?

a.I would like the custom suitcase but does it really have room for all the expansions in a way to make gameplay simple? If so where can I commission a custom case?

b.If plano boxes and other storage options are recommended which ones and what's the best way to store the decks for ease of play?

2) Are the recent minis short run or will they be on the market for a while?

3) What other components are there for the game ( I remember seeing someone made custom dice for the game and another company made something for the gates)?

4) Are all expansions still available / in print? If so which are OOP? If not any recommended to pick up first?

5) Any suggestions for introducing new players to the game from your experience? E.g.a print out reference sheet or video; test play or jump right in?

6) Does adding other players affect the time of play? If so by how much ie 30 min per player? Or does the game length vary based on the cards pulled/no real change in length by number of players?

Thanks all and hope you're having happy holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3. Litko AeroSystems has gate and monster holders as well as custom elder signs. ColtsFan76 has done a few runs of custom dice through Chessex and there are lots of foam core creations you can browse in the galleries.

5. Know the game yourself, if you know it well you can let the new player just focus on their character interacting with the game.. Print out Universal head's game aid here: http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/ArkhamHorror_v...

6. Not sure how long for each player, but I find 3-5 players the sweet spot, if you have less just play multiple investigators each (i.e. with 2 player have 2 characters each). More than 5 players makes the game drag sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I keep everything in the original boxes. There is room in the big boxes to store the small boxes. But as much as I like consolidating, I just can't figure out a way to do it with this game.

the custom look nice but no one knows when the last expansion is going to be so you have to anticipate keeping room for it.

Plano really isn't applicable because the majority of stuff is the Cards and Plano doesn't cover that (unless you can find the Sports Card box they carry for their Kids line). I do have a couple of the little 6-compartment boxes to just keep the cardboard separated.

2) Not sure. Assumed to be a short run as they were cancelled once.

3) You can go with the custom dice, the Litko plastic stands, and the FFG plastic investigators.

4) Yes, they are all available. If some are in short supply, they are supposed to be reprinted. If you want a big box expansion, go with Dunwich first, then Innsmouth, then Kingsport. If you want small box, King in Yellow, Lurker at the Threshold, Black Goat, then Dark Pharaoh. that will be the common consensus.

5) Learn it yourself first. Get all your questions worked out first. Then lead them through it. Worst you can do is sit down and reference the rulebook every 5 minutes. They will hate the game and never want to play again. But if you know it well enough (or know it enough to make rulings on the fly), you can teach any number of players to play the game. You could even by the moderator and just read cards to them and help them through the phases.

The best resource is flowchart from a previous user on this site. Send my your email, and I will email it to you. Arkham Horror Flowchart

6) Number of players will affect the time. But moreso than that, it is the cards drawn. I have found that with 4 investigators, 2 to 2.5 hours is the norm. But you can just get a certain combo of cards that might drag it out or kill you more quickly. 4 is the sweet spot so you should really aim for that in your games and not try to gather as many as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:
For the new year I'm running more game nights with scenario / game system based games. Arkham Horror is the biggie for me as a Lovecraft fan. Though I've read a lot on play, watched videos on the game and even a fan of Arkham-Light dubbed Witch of Salem I wanted opinions from owners and hardcore fans of the game.

1) What is the best way to store the game with expansions?

I have all the expansions and 19 of the figures. I store them in a metal file box I bought at Staples, like the one indicated but has wheels. It's essentially a moveable file box. http://www.amazon.com/IdeaStream-VZ01165-Vaultzt-Locking-Sec...
There's still room for more. I have the cards in the plastic card boxes. I can set up in about 5 minutes (but takes longer to put back).

Quote:
(3) What other components are there for the game ( I remember seeing someone made custom dice for the game and another company made something for the gates)?

Be sure and check out Strange Eons. You can make your own components.

Quote:
(4) Are all expansions still available / in print? If so which are OOP? If not any recommended to pick up first?

Recommendations are all over the forum. I suggest Dunwich to fix many of the short comings, then Innsmouth to make the game much harder. Any of the small boxes add more cards, but not a lot of difficulty, except for the Herald in Black Goat of the Woods. Only buy Kingsport if you want to complete your collection. It actually might be the hardest expansion, but its soooo boring, but does have some interesting new investigators and Ancient Ones and more cards of all kinds, of course.

There is a problem with adding more than 1 expansion. The games were all playtested with only the base game. So by adding more than 1 expansion, there's lots of dilution going on. My solution is to only play with 2 expansions and to draw a Mythos card 1/3rd of the time from each one and the basegame. Except for the mythos cards, all the components from the other expansions are part of the game.

Quote:
5) Any suggestions for introducing new players to the game from your experience? E.g.a print out reference sheet or video; test play or jump right in?

You need to know the game well, yourself. Apparently there are good flow sheets, but I've never used them. It's a great game to play solo and learn that way. Most folks play with 3 or 4 investigators. Once, you've mastered the game, then you can teach others (unless all of you are really, really motivated).

I've probably introduced a 100 players to this game. I go to conventions and play this game throughout the whole convention (7-9 times). Personally I just jump right in after a very short introduction to combat and the theme. I am very easy about letting players leave the game if its not for them and just as easy in bringing in new players in the middle of the game. Just be sure to adjust the victory conditions!. I now limit the game to 5 investigators if I can and no more than 6. Each additional investigator adds time to the game. If there are more than 6, then I don't play, but just moderate.

Quote:
6) Does adding other players affect the time of play? If so by how much ie 30 min per player? Or does the game length vary based on the cards pulled/no real change in length by number of players?
I'd say probably 30 minutes per player, if you win.

Yes,cards make a difference, especially gate bursts (Found in all big boards, plus Black Goat and Lurker). Each will probably add another 20 minutes. Usually there's no more than one, but there can be. Most rumors will also add time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I am going to give a few thorough solo plays and see if I can get a monthly session going starting January. I set up the board and dabbled in following along with the rules so far. Since I built up a collection of other boards last year I really wanted to spend this year focusing on components and expansions of more epic / campaign like games. The information you all gave is extremely helpful in this endeavor.

Happy Holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
I have all the expansions and 19 of the figures. I store them in a metal file box I bought at Staples, like the one indicated but has wheels. It's essentially a moveable file box. http://www.amazon.com/IdeaStream-VZ01165-Vaultzt-Locking-Sec...
There's still room for more. I have the cards in the plastic card boxes. I can set up in about 5 minutes (but takes longer to put back).

Could you upload pictures of how you have everything stored? Or a more detailed description perhaps?
The image you linked looks like a file-store, and while that makes sense for the boards and instructions, I'm not sure how that can apply to the hundreds of chits and thousands of cards (in about 40 decks) for all of the expansions.

Perhaps I'm just unable to visualize it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have recently come across Really useful boxes. they are amazing, esily stackable, sizes for almost everything you could need. i am working on storing all my games in them, and just glueing part of the outside of the box to the inside of the lid and along the side so i can see what my games are while they are stacked.

not sure the us site for them, do a search on really useful boxes. when i get my tecnique set i plan to post pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
i have recently come across Really useful boxes. they are amazing, esily stackable, sizes for almost everything you could need. i am working on storing all my games in them, and just glueing part of the outside of the box to the inside of the lid and along the side so i can see what my games are while they are stacked.

not sure the us site for them, do a search on really useful boxes. when i get my tecnique set i plan to post pictures
They sell them at Office Depot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Really Useful Boxes. I have a really large one and a subset of all the smaller boxes. I will get you a picture when I get my camera working. I will try to post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.