Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

So I've decided to try my hand at modding a game, and this is the one I'm going to mod. It'll be a 5-player Base Game. It'll use text as found in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/509523/example-of-text-game-

More specifically, I'm going to try to use this version:

Turn 01.01 BALTAR IS THE CURRENT PLAYER
------------------------------------------------------------
RESOURCES JUMP TRACK!

8 8 10 12 RED-0 | RED-1 | RED-2 | BLUE-3 (-3) | BLUE-4 (-1)

DISTANCE TO KOBOL

None | Total

\ | /
x2 (A&B)
x3 /
|
\

Cent Track
Destiny | Quorum | Start| One | Two | Three | END
x10
x15

Reserve
x6
x4
x10

OPG Player Locations Hands
Baltar: Research Lab
x5

Helo: Off Board
x3

Starbuck: Hanger Deck
x3

Roslin: President's Office
x3
x1[/b]
Tigh: Command
x3

x21
x21
x21
x21
x21

DAMAGED Destroyed
------------------------------------------------------------

More to come later, including the invitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Darrin, and I'll be your host for the ....

Oops, I'm blatantly stealing the set-up text from 134, and I guess I should make sure to make the appropriate changes, huh?

I'm Daimbert, and this is my first time modding. I'll tell you right now ... I'll make mistakes. I'll make copy and paste errors. I'll forget to update things. So I'm counting on all of you to keep me honest and everything working.

My background is that I played in the second PBF game ever run and haven't stopped playing since. That's my story and I'm sticking to it [grin].

As Darrin says:

"We are required by BSG Tradition to thank Coltsfan76 and Orphius for the wonderful work they've done making this whole thing possible. I'd also like to thank GerryRailBaron for the wonderful Geeklist full of images that he proactively maintains."

I'm actually, using Gerry's spreadsheet, I think, so I have to doubley thank him.

I ask that you use avatars or at least header text to identify yourself. Just changing the avatar picture, I've found, confuses me. And with so many pictures available, you should be able to find something that suits you for any occasion:

Battlestar Galactica - Online BGG Game - Photo Gallery / Avatars

Anything that's an order, put it in bold. I ignore orders that aren't in bold, unless you flat-out tell me it's an order.

Flavour text works best in italics, and I love flavour text. So feel free to use it.

COs are very good, in general. I will screw up COs at some point in this game, however, so just gently remind me when I'm a moron and I'll happily correct my moronity.

If you haven't played before, be sure to check out Nathan's Geeklist.
Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Note that starting in a couple of weeks Tuesdays will be slow updating from me (I'm in class all morning). I expect to do turn updates on weekdays either in the morning or in the evening, and hope that I can actually manage that.

The name is up for debate; I was listening to music and it hit me, but it has nothing to do with anything really ...

And finally ... I'm likely to entertain myself by trying to be creative in how I report things. Don't let that bother you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 5 on the list that might have this fit their preferences:

Iain Reid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

E Ryan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The next 3. The one exception is byronczimmer, who'd be ahead in the list except for the vacation. If we get enough before that ends, we can start, but it's a nice slot for an alternate if we don't.

Seiya V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone!
mbmbmbmbmb

Ben Ross
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm filling in for another PbEM game till Jan 5th. If this starts after that, I'm available, otherwise I've been advised (especially at the speed they go some nights) that it's tough to keep up with two games.

If I have to take a by on this one, my apologies. Otherwise, see you in about 10 days.

~Kenneth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would appear to match my specifications. I'm in! I like to go quickly and check obsessively. I got it from Vollick, so we have that going for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kard wrote:
I'm filling in for another PbEM game till Jan 5th. If this starts after that, I'm available, otherwise I've been advised (especially at the speed they go some nights) that it's tough to keep up with two games.

If I have to take a by on this one, my apologies. Otherwise, see you in about 10 days.

~Kenneth

I guess the fairest way for me to handle this is that if I get 5 people other than you from this list of eight before then, I'll go with what I have. If I'd have to go back to the list, I'll slot you in and delay the start of the game (since it is only about a week). Does that seem fair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
List of replies:

iainreid OUT
Flamethrower49 IN
Kard IN
Vollick1979 OUT
invisiblelandmines IN

Alternates:

seiyaaa OUT
pcservbot IN
byronczimmer IN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seiya V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I'm going to pass on this one, but thanks for the invitation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to take a pass as well. I'd love to play a game with Kenneth (he will check in obsessively) but I'm about to start moderating a second game with my wacky house rules.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'll be putting an M beside my name in the wiki list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ross
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll play if you end up needing me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Ryan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi I'm in if there's still space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone who has said that they're definitely in is in, based on the responses so far. Waiting for two more to settle it all, but it looks likely that we won't be able to start in earnest until around Jan 5. Let me know if that's a problem for anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I decided that since we have four players (if we're willing to wait a little bit for Kard to be fully available), I'd just go ahead and start character selection while waiting for iainreid or byronczimmer to reply that they're in, or my going to the list to get another player.

Here's the randomly selected selection order. And yes, it was random, generated by the random.shuffle command in Python.

Kard (Tom Zarek)
pcservbot (Starbuck)
Flamethrower49 (Saul Tigh)
invisiblelandmines (Laura Roslin)
byronczimmer (Boomer)

Since it's the holidays, I want to wait a little longer before fishing for new alternates, especially since byronczimmer is listed as being on vacation until Dec 30.

So, Kard, you're up. Pick any character from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Ryan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just so you know, I'll be away for the weekend (Fri evening to Sunday afternoon my timezone) but will be back in regular contact after that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblelandmines wrote:
Just so you know, I'll be away for the weekend (Fri evening to Sunday afternoon my timezone) but will be back in regular contact after that!

That sounds like it will be pretty standard, so we probably won't be starting until then. Get some COs in for character selection if you can (public or private is fine for this).

I was hoping to catch Kard before he stopped checking, but it looks like he's off for a little bit so we won't likely even get his choice until after New Year's. So we can start then.

Which gives me time to shuffle the decks [grin].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Ryan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, I'm thinking of character selection now, so will mail you some COs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest assured, I am watching all developments like a hawk. There just hasn't been too much cause to say anything, as the holidays wind down.

Public COs: I would like to play Laura Roslin, if my fellow shipmates would be so obliging. If not, I would like to play Saul Tigh. If not, I'll play Apollo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ross
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Public CO: I'll go with Starbuck as my first choice, and Helo as my second choice,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am back from vacation, but am holding for ian to reply first, as he is higher in the order than I would be. Regardless, either of us would be last in the character selection.

Ian, ball's in your court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I am back from vacation, but am holding for ian to reply first, as he is higher in the order than I would be. Regardless, either of us would be last in the character selection.

Ian, ball's in your court.

With the powers vested in me by being the moderator of the game, I declare that if you're in, you're in. Mostly because Ian didn't claim to be on vacation while you did, so technically he's had time to reply. But, because of all the issues around the holidays, I won't give him a "*" for being non-responsive, and he'll be pretty much first in line the next game that goes that's a base game.

That seems fair to me, but if anyone has any concerns let me know.

Barring that, if you're in, you're in. So just say yea or nay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still semi-vacationing (home, but mostly away from the PC).

I'll have more consistent access starting Monday morning (1/3). If Ian shows up before that, he's got it. Otherwise I will take it.

If I'm #5, then I do ask that players use banners for character names on posts -- I've been following a lot of other games and the ones that don't do that get very confusing to follow. The text-version of the board is interesting and I hope easy enough to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I'm still semi-vacationing (home, but mostly away from the PC).

I'll have more consistent access starting Monday morning (1/3). If Ian shows up before that, he's got it. Otherwise I will take it.

If I'm #5, then I do ask that players use banners for character names on posts -- I've been following a lot of other games and the ones that don't do that get very confusing to follow. The text-version of the board is interesting and I hope easy enough to follow.

Well, Kard's supposed to be able to start checking again around there as well, so that's when we'll get started.

I personally like the pictures, but banners are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banners / Pictures, the point is that if a post doesn't have some indication of who it is, it can get very confusing on who's talking. Some have tried using bolded names at the start of each post but that doesn't work very well.at all (and many times it has been forgotten entirely, which can be a hot mess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Banners / Pictures, the point is that if a post doesn't have some indication of who it is, it can get very confusing on who's talking. Some have tried using bolded names at the start of each post but that doesn't work very well.at all (and many times it has been forgotten entirely, which can be a hot mess).

Yeah, everyone should give an indication of who's saying what, especially since I'm not going to remember which person is which character without looking it up [grin]. Avatar changes could work, but as I said I don't like them very much.

In other news, the decks are shuffled except for Loyalty, which I can't do until I know what cards I need. So we'll be ready to start pretty much as soon as all the characters are chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Minchin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies all for the absence and finding out late that I'm first player.

I'll take Zarek.

I'll be online more often as of the 5th, but can still check occasionally now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.