Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say that because of an event card the Dutch and the English are at war. I have an English captain and I decided to attack a Dutch NPC ship. Since we are at war, is this an act of piracy? The historic answer would depend on which side you were on I suppose, but there were plenty of instances where "marauders/pirates" were employed during times of war.

I want to assume that when someone is at war, they are not a pirate. To support this line of thinking, if the NPC attacks me because our two countries are at war I am not a pirate if I win and if I loose the NPC does not become a pirate so this is another reason I was asking for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You always get a bounty, regardless of any wars. If however you are hired as a privateer (through the Letter og Marqué Missions) then you are ignored by the Naval ships of your employer. That is how the above situation is covered by the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters of Marque were a way of pledging your allegiance in times of war. Basically nations would sic lawless pirates on each othern during wartime.

But without this legal document, you're just a pirate....even if you're attacking their enemy.

The nations of the Carribean have been wanting you dead for years and old habits die hard....unless of course you've got something in writing indicating otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first playing last night, it seemed to make sense to consider a pirate "absolved", during wartime, when a naval ship of your nation could otherwise attack you, should the only bounty you have on your head be that for the enemy nation.

Upon further reflection, though, I am hard-pressed to conjure the vision of a naval ship captain hitting an online pirate database, and deciding that your history indicates you have not attacked anyone but the enemy, and letting his personal gain through your capture go by the wayside.

I would, however, see where it would make sense that, should your attack history be so conveniently polarized, and should you find your way to a port of your nation's control, you would be able to obtain a Letter of Marque from the governor, without having to resort to stumbling across the opportunity through the vagaries of a card deck. Perhaps an Influence check would measure the success of the attempt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.