Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following this company for while now, and they seem to be pretty solid with their business strategy.
I'd say it's an excellent choice for younger audiences.
If your little girl likes Pokemon, or stuff like it, I don't see why this wouldn't be a hit.

The boxed set release will have enough minis to play, so further investment would be optional.
My opinion? Go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. They are, um, cute. Heck, even if it turns out you don't like the game itself, you can still probably use the minis with some other game system if their scale isn't too large. Either way it could work. And maybe they'll be selling the line of figures separately as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

I'm gonna vote nope. Generally, shills dont have three patron badges dating back to 2005.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
the only reason I seem to find this one interesting is the mysterious idea that my little girl who finds everything scary will for some reason find this exciting and want to learn about dungeon crawling games and eventually want to play other such games with her old man.

Took 'em long enough. Despite how most families behave, many Dads *do* want to play a game with their daughters, and, finally, a game where Dad doesn't have to post like a ballerina and the daughter doesn't have to play an orc. Maybe had HeroScape had ponies, it would be around a little longer. Anyway, looking forward to a review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

On what grounds? (either of you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

I'm gonna vote nope. Generally, shills dont have three patron badges dating back to 2005.

Or game designer badges. Or 12 geeklists. Or posts on various game threads going back to well nigh the beginning of creation.
Or 15000+ thumbs.

But hey, you make the call. shake

Thanks, Mike, for showing me something that my boys may get into as well. My oldest with Asperger's generally hates any of the "scary" orcs and dragons LOTR-type stuff. Though somehow Pokemon slipped in. Guess Pikachu is so darned cute... Anyhow I, for one, appreciate the heads up, "shilling" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kosmowski
United States
Syracuse / Utica area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for starting discussion on this. I'm on the look out for co-op games to try with my wife, who plays games in order to do stuff with me. ("Non-gamer" just sounds too cold and impersonal to use to describe my wife.) While this game is players vs. GM, I might consider a mini or two as an avatar for Dungeon Bash or Warhammer Quest, if I can round up the parts I'm missing for WQ.

Regardless, I hope you find a common ground for you and your lass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen mention of it elsewhere, and while a little curious/interested, I can't really find out a whole lot about the game, the company, or the designers. Their website is lacking in my opinion, and as far as I can tell there aren't any entries here. It sure is hard to get any information without digging more than I'm willing. There's buzz, but it's hard for that buzz to spread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your daughter that finds fantasy rpg monsters too scary?
She might outgrow that.

One way to help kids get over Teh Scary is for them to be the monsters and mom/dad/oldersib/babysitters to act all scared.

Call me an old feminist curmudgeon, I just hate seeing girls getting reinforced with attention for being/acting scared. Past a certain age (say, four or so) I think it could use challenging; I have the same dislike to seeing adults reinforce girls in babytalk or acting cute to get assistance with a task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG. Those are so cute. I want the little fire mage. And the elf chick. I would totally paint them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laughing Cow Cheese wrote:
I just hate seeing girls getting reinforced with attention for being/acting scared. Past a certain age (say, four or so) I think it could use challenging; I have the same dislike to seeing adults reinforce girls in babytalk or acting cute to get assistance with a task.

I agree in general -- for young girls, boys, or even hermaphrodites. Treating kids like babies will help them remain so, rather than growing up.

That being said, when you're looking to interest someone in a game mechanic you like, you pick the form that is most likely to appeal to them. If my friend dislikes Sci-Fi, even if Race for the Galaxy is a much better game, I might start with San Juan. If cutesy figures will get this guy's daughter into dungeon crawls, then by Grabthar's Hammer, he should acquire the cutesy figures and start the dungeon crawling.

That's how you make gamers; start with something they like. I have faith that like most gamers, after becoming familiar with the appealing game and appreciating the mechanics, that little girl will be more open to lots of other similar games -- even the ones with scary monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

I looked at the profiles but the style of posting was so much out of the marketing handbook I made the guess their accounts could have been hijacked or as game designers (from the same country) they had some interest in the product. It is purely a guess though, nothing more than that.

But where is the mention of rules, the prices, what games it may be similar to, what the child may like, in fact anything providing real content? All there was is 'these look great, your child will love it (very powerful message that) and here is the link to the website for more marketing speak'. Where is the information to make any form of informed decision other than 'it's cute'?

I'm happy to be wrong but the style of posting was nothing like two hobbyists chatting about games. It was very much using styles of posting by a shill.

So my post was on those grounds. It's an opinion in any event, I have absolutely no evidence outside what was posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

I was asking if this was a shill, not stating that yes, it was a shill.

The original post just read like an advertisement for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewus wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Drewus wrote:
Shill?

Yep.

I was asking if this was a shill, not stating that yes, it was a shill.

The original post just read like an advertisement for a game.

Perhaps, but take it in full context (as in who is making the statement) and the "un-shilliness" is quite obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
It's an opinion in any event, I have absolutely no evidence outside what was posted.

And yet you chose to attack him anyway.

That's pretty much this forum in a nutshell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
mbourgeois wrote:
Does anyone else follow this game and it's upcoming full release or is it just me.

I didn't, but I might now. Very interesting.

The images are deceptive. They're all renders, not actual figures. I'd much rather see the real deal in figures. I am curious about the ability to stray away from Games Workshop as a primary (and only?) influence - the miniatures gaming field has been under the crushing thumb of Warhammer for a long, long time.

Quote:
And does anyone think that a little girl would really find this cute, adorable and a must play kinda thing.

It's not a bad attempt. How old? Hmmm... I gotta think that miniatures wargaming is probably not going to really jive with her tastes. The fundamentals are wrong - bashing things for fun isn't really cute. It's still bashing. You could play it up a bit, I think, but seems like a struggle.

Lots of games with cute and cuddly animals out there. That's more classic girl territory. But it might be good to break out of the routine too and try something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

There is also another called Slug Eat Your Face which is for the guys little boy... they're developing two separate armies for the kids to battle with... they're kinda a hoot.

That slug is hysterical, funniest mini I have seen in a long time.
I'm also thinking that the combat is not usually the problem, for my kids it's the scary factor of the monsters. Critters like the slug bring that scary factor way down.

May I ask a secondary, but related, question. (Mike if I've Hijacked your thread let me know and I'll re-ask it in it's own thread)

Is there a minis game out there where, instead of just combat, you're trying to undo traps and outrun things or search through a maze? Kinda more like the Adventurers, with some light combat thrown in?

Guess I'm thinking that a combat-lite version of the Adventurers or of the Magic Labyrinth might be more accessible to a younger crowd.

Such a thing exist? Or have I found my Niche within a Niche?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buckle
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo rules and demo game can be downloaded from their site -

http://web.sodapopminiatures.com/downloads/SuperDungeonExplo...

Also the FAQ states the minis are 32mm "heroic scale".

The minis look really nice. Not sure about the comment saying they are rendered - they look pretty real to me but then its getting late and my eyesight aint what it used to be.

Buks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
It's an opinion in any event, I have absolutely no evidence outside what was posted.

Oh quit being such a big drama queen. We've determined it wasn't a shill, the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
buks wrote:
Demo rules and demo game can be downloaded from their site -

http://web.sodapopminiatures.com/downloads/SuperDungeonExplo...

Also the FAQ states the minis are 32mm "heroic scale".

The minis look really nice. Not sure about the comment saying they are rendered - they look pretty real to me but then its getting late and my eyesight aint what it used to be.

Buks

There are definitely some of the photos there of rendered Minis. But the other line they have shows pictures of the actual minis, and the quality looks really nice. Some of this line might have real pictures too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drewus wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
Halfinger wrote:

Oh quit being such a big drama queen. We've determined it wasn't a shill, the end.

The Ops post was not the trigger for thinking it, it was the post that came later in conjunction with it. Anyway as I said earlier despite the users being regulars of this board I still felt I had good grounds to suspect it and If I was wrong it would be cleared up fast, which it was. My apologies to anyone offended. We have had several spam posts in the last few days which I reported and they have been removed. My judgement would have been clouded by that as well.

Now to the Op. Show her the picture. If she loves it then your on a winner. If not then try something else. The playing with Dad bit is the clincher and will always work out. You do not need any further advise than that really except that the scared phase goes pretty quickly (my second eldest had this bad for a year or two, the others never had it) Soon she may well like monsters so don't give up hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Amazing Labyrinth as a game for a four-year old to get her/him into a dungeon frame of mind...Munchkin has dungeon crawling silliness with non-scary images as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.