Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a number of games made their way into my collection this Christmas, I decided to check how many of my games remain unplayed. I found the number quite shocking: 46%. I haven't logged a play for almost half of the games on my shelf. That's absurd. I'm going to do something about that.

Anyway, if you track your collection and plays on BGG you can find this out easily.
1) Go to your BGG profile and click on the number of "Owned" games in the right-hand column.
2) Click on "Filters" and then select "No" for the "Played" filter.
3) # of unplayed games/total games owned

This may not be completely accurate as you may have played a game before you began logging on BGG, forgot to log, played somebody else's copy, etc. But it at least shocked me out of my game acquisition phase momentarily.

What % of your collection is unplayed?

Poll
0%-10%
11%-20%
21%-30%
31%-40%
41%-50%
51%+
      356 answers
Poll created by nmadd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log plays, but I know my percentage is way to freaking high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only recently began logging games but I would say more than half - but, to be fair I live FAR from a healthy gaming environment.

Remote country home + The South = not many people to game with (sadly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
43% unplayed.

I was beginning to catch up, and then along came black friday at my FLGS combined with the annual FFG online sale.

Anyway, makes for a good New Year's Resolution, right? Play those unplayed games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I count eight unplayed games or expansions out of sixty-six games or expansions owned, for a little over 10%.

- Neil Wehneman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently we are at 18 unplayed, which is 11%. Of those, about 6 of them are expansions that we haven't pulled out yet and about 4 of them are party type games that are only played in big groups in a party atmosphere. Since our party game friends moved away we haven't had a chance to play those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at 14% unplayed out of 209 games I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough question. But I think I actually have the number down to zero with a few caveats:

1. I don't really log plays for expansions, so a lot of those are listed at zero.
2. I own games where I have zero logged plays, but I have definitely played them (even if it's not my copy) - either I played them before I started logging plays or simply forgot.
3. I do own a couple games that I never intend to play, but I like owning. The prime example of this is Order of the Stick Adventure Game: The Dungeon of Dorukan. I am a fan of the comic strip, but I hear the gameplay is terrible.

The reason that I keep my number low is that, when going to a gaming event, I don't always bring the newest, shiniest game - but always try to bring something I've never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite high.
I wouldn't trust my logged data files.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
34% (I also excluded those game that are 'unplayed' but rated. These would be games played before logging plays)

But, I'm saving up games for my retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
8% out of 231. Usually, I only buy games that I really love playing, and have already played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0%.

I do only have 7 games so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should put a poll on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting the two boardgames I got for Christmas (A la carte & Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries), 1 game and 1 expansion for 2/37 or 5.4%.

If we started counting games that are still in my parents basement that are technically mine the percentage drops even lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
nmadd wrote:

When you say "unplayed" do you mean I've never played that game or I've never played that copy of that game? I do own several copies of games that, when that game is played, it is someone else's copy... but beyond that question;

Very, very low. In hundreds of games owned, I wouldn't run out of fingers to count those I didn't play - and almost all of those were traded to others over time.

I don't have time for games I don't play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BLAMMO!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting at about 25% unplayed. Shameful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
0% of 202 games, not counting expansions (I have 4 unplayed expansions out of 35). The reason is that whenever I get new games, I try to play them as soon as possible, and with two public gatherings a month, that's not too hard. Also, if it is playable by two, I will often play it on the same day I receive it in the mail.

However, there has been the occasional game that I sold/traded unplayed. And there is plenty that I feel to be underplayed, with 1-4 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 10% (4 games?). I try not to buy any games if I have 3 or more unplayed that I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 of 157 for 2.5%.

And that's with about 7 or 8 new games/expansions added in December so... not too shabby. Should have them all played by the end of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to those with the very low percentages! I want to do my best this year to join your ranks.

mylittlepwny wrote:
You should put a poll on this

Done.

cosine wrote:
nmadd wrote:

When you say "unplayed" do you mean I've never played that game or I've never played that copy of that game? I do own several copies of games that, when that game is played, it is someone else's copy... but beyond that question;

That's up to you. To make it easy, I just chose games for which I had not logged a play. This skews my number a bit as some I have played before I began logging while others are still in shrink on my shelf, but I've logged a play on somebody else's copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting around 25% unplayed. Not as bad as I thought, but worse than I want to see it! Must play more games immediately!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurits
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 24%. But that's not fair actually. I received 8 games yesterday on a total of 41 now. Before it was 12%. One game is Hearts which I logged to show I got at least one copy of a regular cardgame. I've played Hearts countless times, just not since I started logging my games. Another one is Het Groot Van Dale Spel der Nederlandse Taal (dutch language game), which is in my closet but I'm not planning to play this ever.

This leaves just The Count of Carcassonne and Trivial Pursuit - Music Edition, Bite Size

Not bad at all I would say , yes I know I don't own 300+ games. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
5/62 = 8%

It's only so high because my group put in a large games order in December, then saw the Fantasy Flight sale (and I couldn't pass up $5 games). We're still working through all the new games, so that should drop back towards 0. I always try to bring new games until they've been played at least once, I feel weird owning games I've never played. Though there are some games that are harder to get played then others (don't usually get only 3 people for several hours, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get a play of Android in; and I don't usually play 2 player games, plus I don't have many dice, so it may be a while before IRONDIE hits the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
70 out of 191 board games unplayed (36.6%)
34 out of 65 board game expansions (52.3%)

blush

(a fair few of these are either thrift purchases or presents for other people that have been put away and were never meant to be played by me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one game out of around 50 is unplayed, with the caveat that I don't count a game as unplayed if I played someone else's copy. That one game was a Queen giveaway at BGG.con last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.