Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gaming group just began playing Settlers of Catan. The question came up regarding the use of meeples to replace the cards in the game for resources. The confusing part is , when using the robber, how do you hide your resources from others so they cant pick and choose which one to deprive you of? As much as I would like to use my resourceeples, I cannot do to the "hidden" agenda for the robber.

What is the General Gaming community do with this situation?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the components that came with the box shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizbin44 wrote:
Our gaming group just began playing Settlers of Catan. The question came up regarding the use of meeples to replace the cards in the game for resources. The confusing part is , when using the robber, how do you hide your resources from others so they cant pick and choose which one to deprive you of? As much as I would like to use my resourceeples, I cannot do to the "hidden" agenda for the robber.

What is the General Gaming community do with this situation?

Thanks,

Store the meeples in an opaque container, have them put their hand into the container without looking.

And you will want meeples hidden 100% of the time, not just for the robber. It helps with trades, so that people can't see exactly what you are attempting to build, and it helps to avoid the Monopoly card.

And since you will not be able to visually enjoy the resourcemeeples using my suggestion, I'm going to agree with the first comment.

The other way to go would be to use a homebrew rule and leave resources as a known quantity all the time, even when picking with the robber.

Just as an aside, I strongly dislike homebrew rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone rolls a 7, put the resourceeples in your mouth. Then they'll steal from someone else.

Or you could have everyone pick up their resources quickly into their hands. The player stealing picks a player to steal. That player lays his resources out in a line, and the stealing player rolls a die to determine which one he steals. Get a d8 or d10 if they have lots of resources.

Or just use cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely use the cards. They will eventually wear out, but thankfully replacement cards are sold for Catan which includes the resources and the Dev cards for $10. I just replaced mine after 10+ years of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the comments. The reason I asked the question is I have tons of resourceeples for use with Agricola. May Day Games touts their tokens can be used for Catan and Stone Age. In reality, you can't use the resourceeples with Catan because you'll breach the integrity of the game. The cards are much easier since they are replaceable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to The Settlers of Catan» Forums » General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday games, who sells those resource tokens, offers a solution on the product page: you can close your tokens in your hands, shake them around like they were dice and slowly open up the bottom of your hands until one resource drops out.

"Breach the integrity of the game" really? I don't even know what you mean by that, nor do I get the general abhorrence of using tokens like this. They're cute; who cares. I'll probably try it sometime just for kicks.

I'm sure you could fashion an equally cute player screen to hide them behind, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Or, unless you are dead set on using the Mayday resources, you could use cubes of different colors which would not give away their type when picked blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Warshauer-Baker
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Roll a die to choose the resourceeple. I'm a stickler for randomness, so I actually do this even with resource cards.

For example, if you have five resourceeples, number them 1-5, and declare 6 a reroll.

You'll need a d8/d10/d12/d20 to handle other cases. Just declare all numbers that don't match a resourceeple to be rerolls.

So, if you have seven resourceeples, you roll a d8 with 8 a reroll. If you have fourteen resourceeples, roll a d20, rerolling on 15-20.

Special case if you're feeling extra-geeky:
You can use 2d6 to choose among 4 resourceeples with no rerolls.
1st resourceeple = 5/6
2nd resourceeple = 8/9
3rd resourceeple = 4/7
4th resourceeple = everything else (2/3/10/11/12)

Each resourceeple has 9 "dots" / 36 = 1/4 chance.

It's about as good to just roll a d6 and reroll on 5-6, though. :)

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.