Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison to Daytona 500 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Goodmanson
United States
Port Edwards
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does Daytona 500 get so adored while this one doesn't?

Edit: Just found this comparison review, but welcome any further comments.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A more nostalgic name, a broader appeal, and probably the drafting.

I'm hoping to get the whole Kramer racing line to the table at a weekend marathon to really suss out the flavors of each iteration from Daytona 500 -> DCGP -> Top Race to get a better understanding.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played each one, and Det/Clev is my favorite. I think Daytona gets more love because of two main reasons: 1) cooler cars 2) published by a bigger publisher, earlier

I sold my Daytona because it was very similar, but (to me) not as interesting as Det/Clev. I didn't enjoy the track layout of Daytona (not as interesting without all the twists), and while drafting was cool, it could easily be added to Det/Clev.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they chose not to include drafting in this one? Do the switch cards add more randomness?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The switch cards add chaos, although I wouldn't say it's randomness. I don't particularly like them, but they aren't as bad as the Top Race cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suspect its popularity over Detroit-Cleveland is more due to the lack of solid NASCAR racing games. Lots of great F1 and Indy Car games out there (Speed Circuit, Formula D), but aside from Daytona 500 and Stock Car Championship Racing, there aren't many solid NASCAR choices.

That said, it's the drafting rule that makes Daytona 500 a better game to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
A more nostalgic name, a broader appeal, and probably the drafting.

I'm hoping to get the whole Kramer racing line to the table at a weekend marathon to really suss out the flavors of each iteration from Daytona 500 -> DCGP -> Top Race to get a better understanding.



I'd be up for that - now I just have to make it to a marathon again. I have all 3 that you mentioned, though I'm still hoping to some day get a hold of Niki Lauder's Formel One, too.

I wanted to play the 3 games I had at BGG.Con this year, but didn't get to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tinkha wrote:

I'd be up for that - now I just have to make it to a marathon again. I have all 3 that you mentioned, though I'm still hoping to some day get a hold of Niki Lauder's Formel One, too.

I wanted to play the 3 games I had at BGG.Con this year, but didn't get to it.


Criminy, man! Get ye to the MBGM then!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6003378#6003378

January 8th and 9th this month (er soon to be anyway) at one of the hotels just south of the MoA.

I see you're an Auf Achse fan and we played my copy 5 times at the December event and I'll have it in my bucket in January too, alongside the other Kramer racers. Formel One seems nigh impossible to find but Top Race is really the re-birth of Formel One (but with added features and in the case of the Pegasus edition, added tracks.)

It's the best $5 you'll spend in any given month!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:


Criminy, man! Get ye to the MBGM then!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6003378#6003378

January 8th and 9th this month (er soon to be anyway) at one of the hotels just south of the MoA.

I see you're an Auf Achse fan and we played my copy 5 times at the December event and I'll have it in my bucket in January too, alongside the other Kramer racers. Formel One seems nigh impossible to find but Top Race is really the re-birth of Formel One (but with added features and in the case of the Pegasus edition, added tracks.)

It's the best $5 you'll spend in any given month!


Yeah, things are looking good for me to make the next one, at least on Saturday. See you there!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.