• [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer For Sale, as the restrictions in bidding in High Society put me off a bit. Also, you will often find that you CANNOT win in HS far before the game/round ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Brad's take on this is sound, and echoed by a lot of people. But the other camp, of which I'm a member, would say that For Sale is the more easily "solved" game, and can be far too predictable in the second round based on the results of the first. Yet another camp, where I am frequently found: Both of these games are very worthy in their own right, and you should strive to have both, or at least be willing to play either one equally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
how is boomtown also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played High Society. And it can be a good game, but you need the right people for it.

I just got the new For Sale today and read through the rules and it seems a little more involved, which I think can be a good thing.

Just to make sure in the new For Sale when you bid and get half your money back....you round up - right? Misprint in the manual, where they round down in the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Yet another camp, where I am frequently found: Both of these games are very worthy in their own right, and you should strive to have both, or at least be willing to play either one equally.

That's where I am. Both are very good. If I had to pick: For Sale, by a nose. It's just a little more exciting. The bidding is... visceral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this may be off the mark, but I much prefer Razzia to either High Society of For Sale.

Razzia is the card based version of Ra. It fits in a box smaller than Uberplay's High Society and is 'meatier'.

It's a bidding game at it's heart and has more options and ways to score points than either For Sale or High Society.

Of course, Razzia ends up being a longer game BUT players can always make house rules to shorten the length (eg: 5 Policeman instead of 7 to end a round, remove some cards to thin the deck, etc).

It plays 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i think i may get for sale then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Society is a denser, more thoughtful game. For Sale is a lighter, more casual game. I suspect a lot of people like FS more because the game depth better marries to the game length, but they're both fine games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. They're both good games. High Society requires a little forethought in how you want to bid by setting a rough price for your initial bid and final bid and selecting your first card based on that. It's important to try to keep your bid down to as few cards as possible and to get people to bid many cards if you can.

Both games can make use of card counting if you like that (I don't, but I enjoy the games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked these same questions a few weeks ago -- was wondering whether I should get High Society, For Sale, or Modern Art. The main limitation for me was that I wanted to be able to play with three. In the end, I wound up getting Razzia. I've only played it three times now, each time with three players. So far I think it's great, and I'm very happy with my decision. Game length is about 45 minutes. If that's too long, then don't get Razzia. But if that's okay for game length, then based on others' advice and now my own experience, I'd suggest Razzia. I've never played Ra, so can't make any comparisons. I would still get Razzia over Ra even once the Ra reprint is on the market, because to me the Egyptian theme is really stupid for this game. The mafia theme makes so much more sense. And I'm glad the game length is what it is (Razzia is 2/3 the length of Ra).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet wrote:
Just to make sure in the new For Sale when you bid and get half your money back....you round up - right? Misprint in the manual, where they round down in the example.

I emailed Uberplay regarding this very question over the weekend, after receiving my copy of the game. Jeremy Young's response:

"The example is wrong. Should be rounded up and the example should say 2 chips."

Basically, the rounding is done in the player's favor. Hope this helps. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.