Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone own SEVEN COPIES OF MONOPOLY??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm taking care of my neighbor's cat while he & his family are out of town for the holiday. While looking in the cabinet next to the catbox for a poop scooper, I noticed that they have a fairly sizable shelf devoted to boardgames. Pretty much just mass market stuff, but a decent sized stack of game boxes for non-geeky types.
Then I realized that almost half of the boxes were Monopoly. Old editions, new editions, Disney editions, sports editions... Huh?

So why on earth would anyone keep this many copies of the same game? And why this game? They're not game collectors and they've never mentioned playing boardgames to me at all, much less hosting Monopoly tournaments in their house. What other possible reason could anyone have for owning seven copies on Monopoly?

And is it wrong of me to want to go buy a copy of Setters or Puerto Rico or something and just leave it in their cabinet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a good friend from college who specifically collects versions of monopoly. Last we spoke a year ago or so, she had close to 40 versions. Woah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... I work at a game store near Edmonton, guess what game I sold only slightly less often than Settlers of Catan?

That's right. Monopoly. Also 3 copies of CAT monopoly off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrashGameLover wrote:

And is it wrong of me to want to go buy a copy of Setters or Puerto Rico or something and just leave it in their cabinet?

When confronted with something wrong, I compare how wrong it is with how funny it is.

In this case, maybe a little wrong. But extremely hilarious. Please do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrashGameLover wrote:
OK, so I'm taking care of my neighbor's cat while he & his family are out of town for the holiday. While looking in the cabinet next to the catbox for a poop scooper, I noticed that they have a fairly sizable shelf devoted to boardgames. Pretty much just mass market stuff, but a decent sized stack of game boxes for non-geeky types.
Then I realized that almost half of the boxes were Monopoly. Old editions, new editions, Disney editions, sports editions... Huh?

So why on earth would anyone keep this many copies of the same game? And why this game? They're not game collectors and they've never mentioned playing boardgames to me at all, much less hosting Monopoly tournaments in their house. What other possible reason could anyone have for owning seven copies on Monopoly?

Monopoly's popular as a gift, especially the themed editions.

Quote:

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. It would never get played, though. If they even noticed it, they'd take one look at it and think it sounded boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can almost understand people wanting to collect different versions more than I can understand people actually wanting to play all those different versions.

I think a lot of people buy monopoly, especially the various themes ones, as gifts and such from a purely nostaligic point of view. People may have played monopoly a bunch as a kid a remember having a good time and then think, "gee, maybe I'll buy this random version of monopoly for myself (or as a gift)" ... I'd bet the vast majority of monopoly purchases go entirely unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The themed editions are a means of demonstrating one's interests and/or hobbies in a format that's familiar to visitors who may or may not share the same interests. Who'd have a Disney Monopoly? A Disney-phile. Who'd have a copy of Elvis Monopoly? An Elvis fan.

More copies, more interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TrashGameLover wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to ask your neighbors directly instead of posting in a public forum?

Quote:

Or you could simply tell them about these games and invite them to play with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not entirely sure how you can justify owning a SINGLE copy of Monopoly. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I point you to something more bizarre?

http://www.meetup.com/monopoly-98/

That should put the original question into a larger perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need at least 2 copies of Monopoly. Imagine one breaks or You lose important parts. Now its weekend and the store is closed. With a spare copy You can happily go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly's a popular game with lots of folks, hell I'd rather play it then Agricola any day of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
You need at least 2 copies of Monopoly. Imagine one breaks or You lose important parts. Now its weekend and the store is closed. With a spare copy You can happily go along.

Also, it's a good way to get extra thimbles if you have extremely tiny hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AS opposed to the general opinions on this site, Monopoly may actually be the most enjoyed and bought boardgame in the World. Perhaps that's why it consistently outsells just about every other boardgame out there.

Perhaps they really enjoy playing Monopoly, and like it with different themes. Or, maybe as others have suggested, they are big fans of something and by the Monopoly versions. Finally, maybe they just keep getting Monopoly as a gift.

I have at least three versions of Monopoly myself. I have Monopoly Express, I have a travel version of Monopoly, and I have Monopoly city.

I actually enjoy playing Monopoly. I suppose I'm one of the few that also would be a Boardgamegeek but also like the Mass Market boardgames.

I guess some would say I'm not as much of a nerd or geek as some of those on this site, though I do have a nice size collection of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the name of all that is holy do people own hundreds of games, many of which they will play once..if at all? Because they can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me it would be far simpler to ask your neighbor why he has them, rather than making his possessions an object for mockery on the internet. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Monopoly's popular as a gift, especially the themed editions.

True. This Christmas we had two people give themed version of Monopoly alone. Toledoopoly (the version themed after my CITY) and Fishopoly I twitched involuntarily when the latter came out. And then I doggedly attempted to out compete it after dinner

"Anyone wanna play Dixit? It's like Apples to Apples with pictures!"

*blank stares*

"Ok... I'll play Monopoly."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but I own..
Catan
Catan: 5-6 Player Extension
Catan: Seafarers – 5-6 Player Extension
Catan: Seafarers
Catan: Cities & Knights
Catan: Cities & Knights – 5-6 Player Extension
Die Siedler von Catan: Das Buch zum Spielen
7 copies of Settlers of Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Yeah, but I think there's a distinction between expansions and multiple copies of the base game. It would be as if you had the base game, the reprinted edition, the French language edition and the 15th anniversary edition of SoC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, for all my Monopoly hate, I do enjoy lots of mass market boardgames. Sequence is actually kinda great, I love Scrabble. Party games like Uno, Skip-Bo, Password, hit my table frequently. I unexpectedly really enjoyed Pit despite its offensive theme when I played it for the first time recently. And of course there are the traditional games that get a mass market audience, like Backgammon, Chess, Cribbage, etc.

It's just that Monopoly, like vanilla old-school Risk, is a terrible not-fun game. The theme is kind of disgusting now that it's been stripped of its social commentary angle by generations playing it as kids, it runs about three hours too long - which is exacerbated by its exponential power curve - and contains too few interesting decisions and little tension aside from the auctions. And I hate auctions.

What you should do is secretly replace the contents of each Monopoly box with a different game (one that's actually worth playing) and see if they ever notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Yeah, but I think there's a distinction between expansions and multiple copies of the base game. It would be as if you had the base game, the reprinted edition, the French language edition and the 15th anniversary edition of SoC.

Maybe he's a themer, and more interested in the different themes that the various Monopolies give him than the depth of mechanical separation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Rishi wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Maybe he's a themer, and more interested in the different themes that the various Monopolies give him than the depth of mechanical separation.

Although the OP did say that the neighbor owned themed editions, he also mentioned that he had different editions of the regular Monopoly game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseff Amador
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone own onecopy of Monopoly???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The *better* question is...

TrashGameLover wrote:
While looking in the cabinet next to the catbox for a poop scooper, I noticed that they have a fairly sizable shelf devoted to boardgames.

...who the FRACK keeps their boardgame collection next to the *litter box*?!

I mean, we run a pretty tidy house, keep the litter box very clean, but every now and then, one of them drops a choking-cloud-of-DOOM bomb in it.

And let's not forget if you are running even a few minutes late from work or something on cleaning it, and one of them just decides to pee on whatever surface is nearby!

Neither of these is a smell I'd want to risk my boardgames picking up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Rishi wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Almost embarassingly, I do quite enjoy playing the themed monopolies (once) simply to see what they did with the theme in the very slight rules change, and how that changes the play. Star Wars Monopoly's seperation of houses and hotels into Rebel and Empire gives a slightly different feel for the mid-game, while Pokemon Monopoly's Pokemon Power alternate doubles rules turns the game hyperchaotic throughout, which... Has curious effects on the quality of the game, mostly for the worse (Basically for the same reason Free Parking is an abomination of a house rule) but it does expand the period where you don't actually know who's won and are merely going through the motions.

...I haven't seen an example yet where it turns it into a good game, mind, but... I find it interesting to see what the slight rules changes do to the thing. Just not enough to actually buy them... though if someone suggests a game of a themed monopoly I haven't played yet I'm more likely to be non-dreading the offer than if it's vanilla monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.