Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I have no one to play with, any recommendations for online or solo games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always loved playing games, but being Introduced to Settlers and Carcassonne has really peaked my interest. The problem? My husband won't play! If I had only known about the awesome games around, my husband's huge dislike of games would have been a deal breaker. I would honestly cancel my tv service and play games every night. However, I made a vow to stick with this guy (who is awesome in all other ways) and I totally need to get my game fix elsewhere or through great solo player games.

So I need recommendations for great board games to play online and solo games I can purchase.

Fortunately my last child goes to school full time next year and I will have my days open to create a SAHM boardgamers group.

And before you mention playing with my kids, I do, but beating them 9 times out of 10 kind of sucks the joy out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of great games are available to play online for free.

So, that is definitely an option. For games that play solo on the table-top, Agricola and Race for the Galaxy spring to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I love games of video for solo play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an excellent computer version of Race for the Galaxy by Keldon. You can play against the AI or online versus other real players.

Also, you might check out this geeklist: Sebastian Sohn's SoftBoard Games: Free, Commercial, and Abandoned Computer Version of Board, Card and Role-Playing Games with Computer AI (Artificial Intelligence) Opponents with Screen Shots

EDIT: What's the reason given by your husband for why he won't play games? Is it any game he won't play or just specific ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder's online version of Ticket To Ride is top-notch. I recommend that and the free beta of Memoir '44 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

Without really knowing what kind of themes you like I will chance a few suggestions;

Ghost Stories
Arkham Horror
Runebound (Second Edition)
Lord of the Rings
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
DungeonQuest (third edition)
Struggle for the Galactic Empire
Space Alert
Defenders of the Realm

Hope these will get you started. Just click on the game title to go to the game page to find out more specific information such as reviews, photos, etc.

Here's a flash game that is an almost perfect remake of the board game Aliens, it's one of my favorites to play online.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you need to do is to register at http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ and learn Caylus. I've just recently learned the game and it is really simple once you know the rules. There is always someone there willing to play but beware, a lot aren't keen on playing beginners. I've logged close to 200 plays now, it is by far the best boardgame I've played since joining this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.yucata.de is a great and friendly online boardgaming site. They have plenty of modern boardgames, including a few abstracts. The online interface is easy to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shutterbugtn wrote:
So I need recommendations for great board games to play online and solo games I can purchase.

Here is a good GeekList of solitaire games: Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.

A lot of the games on that list are out of print and some of them are no longer in the database. Many of them are wargames or thematic games too, so if you've only played euros (you mentioned Settlers and Carc, for example), you may want to consider whether these other styles suit you before you spend a whole lot of money.

Look for cooperative games as well. Most pure cooperative games, like Pandemic, work very well solo with no changes to the rules--you simply set up a multiple-player game but control each of the "players" yourself.

For computer games, another poster recommended Race for the Galaxy with mrkeldon's AI. You can find the program on Keldon's Website. This is a fantastic implementation of a fantastic game (and all three of its expansions!). It is free and distributed with permission from the game's designer and publisher. If you get a physical copy of RftG, there is also a solitaire mode included in the game's first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:

Here is a good GeekList of solitaire games: Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.

Here's another GeekList of solitaire games--a more recent one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try doing a search for geeklists with words like "solo", "solitaire", and "alone" in the title. There are many games that can be played solo, and many others that have unofficial solo variants.

And in the forums, there are even some ideas for playing Settlers of Catan solo:
Solitaire: Race Against The Destroyer.
Catan for 2 or even 1??

I can't say if those are any good or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss in a recommendation for the Java version of Clippers, which I find endlessly replayable in spite of some AI issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
There's an excellent computer version of Race for the Galaxy by Keldon. You can play against the AI or online versus other real players.

Also, you might check out this geeklist: Sebastian Sohn's SoftBoard Games: Free, Commercial, and Abandoned Computer Version of Board, Card and Role-Playing Games with Computer AI (Artificial Intelligence) Opponents with Screen Shots

EDIT: What's the reason given by your husband for why he won't play games? Is it any game he won't play or just specific ones?

My husband does not like how he acts when he wins and when he loses. I personally think he just doesn't want to lose to a girl, jk.

I might be able to convince his to play one or two nights a year, but with so little gameplay he doesn't get to develop good strategy. Plus those nights would cost me big time, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you all are awesome.

I have only played Carc, Settlers, Bohnanza, and Ticket to Ride. I don't know what other types of games I would enjoy so I am willing to give them all a try.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I did try doing several searches before I posted, so I really appreciate the links to the threads I somehow missed.

I look forward to giving all these a try.

I hope my daughter learns from this and makes sure she marries a guy who loves to play games as much as she does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel, Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome and enjoy your board gaming

When I was a student I spent many an hour - after completing homework - playing Ambush, Chainsaw Warrior and Dungeon Quest. Sport Replay games were also popular especially Metric Mile and Long Distance Double.

Enjoy your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I've seen a lot of praise for Onirim as a solo game, but I haven't played it myself yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
No possibility at all to find games your husband might like?
Sports? Combat? (Insert other-stereotypical-male-themes here)?
There are many, many types of games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Rallyman I'm having alot of funb with this one as a solo game at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just discovered the co-op games today, I did ask my dh just now if he would play something like that and he said 'Maybe' which is close enough to yes for me. I think I am going to order Pandemic. Is that easy enough to catch on to and a good starter co-op game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to all of these recommendations.

Add Red November to your list. Just be sure to play four gnomes at once or it's too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shutterbugtn wrote:
Having just discovered the co-op games today, I did ask my dh just now if he would play something like that and he said 'Maybe' which is close enough to yes for me. I think I am going to order Pandemic. Is that easy enough to catch on to and a good starter co-op game?

I guess Forbidden Island might be a better choice before Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
I've seen a lot of praise for Onirim as a solo game, but I haven't played it myself yet.

I got this for Christmas, it's a great solo game! And includes 3 variants as well, so lots of variety.

I haven't tried it yet but I also got Micropul which looks a lot of fun.

As for online, I use yucata.de which is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shutterbugtn wrote:

As soon as you explained the situation with him, I was going to strongly suggest cooperative games. I think Pandemic would be a fine choice, but I agree that Forbidden Island might be a better first choice. It's a bit easier, and the theme has a bit wider appeal.

Whichever you get, if it goes well with hubby, there are a bunch more cooperative games you could try, with themes all over the map. Lord of the Rings, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, and Defenders of the Realm are in the fantasy realm; Flash Point, Wok Star, and Pandemic have real-world themes; Onirim (and probably others) are in the abstract/vague realm; there are several Zombie games; and others.

There are also several variants on BGG that convert normal games into co-ops.

Here is my attempt at a comprehensive list: PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Onirim and Forbidden Island in my cart.

I have also purchase Medici, Ra, and Tichu for my iPhone. You all are bad for my wallet.

I have joined Mr. Jack (started a game, just need someone to join in. Anyone want to help a beginner?) and am exploring the other online games. Hopefully try a new one each week to get to know the kind of games I like.

I should mention that my husband does play Clue with our kids and might like similar style games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.